Monday, October 5, 2009

Art on the cheap – Part 1

Pin It

We have TONS of wall space in our house and being in our 30’s we haven’t really acquired too much stuff yet. Well I guess that’s not totally true…..we have loads of “stuff” just not the kind of stuff you want to display. So I’m always on the lookout for cheap wall art.

My youngest son’s room has a monkey jungle theme and I kept searching around for cheap prints. I stumbled upon several websites that featured letters and numbers with animals mixed in. I loved that idea and thought….maybe I can make this myself?

IMG_3645

I was able to make both of these pieces on PowerPoint. When I was in graduate school, we used PowerPoint to make all kinds of graphics and posters. It’s a pretty handy tool for all kinds of things other than presentations.

Of course, after making something new for one child, I felt guilty and whipped up some cool new art for my older son’s room too. I used the same technique and tied in his baseball theme. Again, super cheap and easy!IMG_4107

IMG_4108

My oldest son really loves the new special artwork that was made especially for him by mommy. And I think that’s the best payoff really. A sweet smile on my little boys face knowing I spent some time doing something just for him that day.



DIY Day @ ASPTL
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Darling! Isn't it nice when they love what you do for them....it makes it extra worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just adorable art!

    I have a link party going, if you haven't linked up head on over! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I might have to try to do something similar for my son - he's got a baseball room too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great on the wall and those frames are perfect. I love them. Great idea to print them off the computer, so much cheaper and they look amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute stuff! What a fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How creative! I am a graduate student and have used power point many times, but wasn't aware that it had this capability. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great comments! Its nice to get some feedback from someone older than 6! :)

    I might have to try a tutorial using PowerPoint for this purpose.....hmmmmm?? That's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Also a grad student scientist who used powerpoint to make my son's baby announcements.
    Any chance you'd be willing to share the file for the jungle themed posters? I'm using your monkey baby shower invitations to throw a baby shower for my labmate & would love to use the jungle posters to decorate and then gift for the new baby's room. If so, it'd be so great! My email is kabrow@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails