Sunday, October 25, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are…

Pin It When we moved into our home, we knew we were going to try to have a baby in the near future. The previous owners had one of the extra bedrooms set up as a nursery. We decided to keep it this way because it was gender neutral and I didn’t mind the “faux” treatments in here as much as the other rooms in the house. Other than the faux painting, there were so pretty tattered roller shades that I figured we could deal with for a while.DSC01381 Then he started to develop his wild child personality. When he turned one, he was already able to climb on top of the kitchen table and attempted to swing from the light fixture! That, among other scary feats, earned him the nickname “Monkey”. So naturally, when we were getting ready to rid him of his “baby” room, I opted for a monkey jungle theme. It was time for a change.
The goal was to find a color he (we!) could live with for more than just his toddler years, but still make it feel young and fun. So, I painted the room a green that wasn’t too grassy but wasn’t too babyish either (Behr’s Grass Cloth).
IMG_4656 Another goal was to make sure the room wasn’t stuck in a “theme” forever. Aha! I found some great adhesive stickers with monkeys, fern leaves and bananas. They were fairly inexpensive and gave a lot of bang for the buck. The great thing about these adhesive wall decorations is that when you’re ready for a new look, they come off easily and don’t leave a mark. Gotta’ love that!IMG_4679 Now, what to do with the last bare wall above the bed? Call me a worry wart, but I always fret about hanging things above the beds of babes. They jump and bounce around so much….or maybe that’s just my kids?? Either way, I decided to order custom adhesive wall words online from the title of a VERY fitting book…Where The Wild Things Are. This only cost $19 which I thought was pretty cheap for a wall of art. (I know, I know…seems like a ripped of a recently released movie title? Well, first of all, I decorated this room WAY before it came out and second, we just saw it and its FAB!)IMG_4682 I know that the Pooh lamp in the above picture seems a bit out of place, but it was in my nursery when I was a baby. I had a ceramic musical bear that was also from my nursery in my older son’s room. I think its nice to add a little something from your past to your own child’s room. Don’t you? I’m a sentimental fool and proud of it!IMG_4684 The bedding is Eric Carle – African Savannah. I LOVE all of his wonderful children’s books and this set was a steal on clearance at Amazon.


  IMG_4087 I bought the valances at Walmart just to add a little color to the windows. Again they were super cheap so I won’t feel bad changing them out when he outgrows the gingham look. One last thing….to finish the room off I recently made some letter and number art. So, of course I have to ask….what do you think of my room redo? Did I go overboard on the monkeys for my little monkey?
Be sure to check out all the great Before and Afters at Metamorphosis Monday!



I'm also adding this post to Kimba's DIY Day! Check her out!

DIY Day @ ASPTL
Pin It

18 comments:

  1. VERY cool! I had that same lamp in our sons room when he was little! He LOVED his Pooh lamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is simply amazing! I found your link through A Soft Place to Land last week and have been addicted to your site ever since. Hard to believe that so many different and absolutely wonderful blogs link up in one place every week.

    I have so much to learn. :)

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable this is. I never knew they made Eric Carl sheets. How incredibly cute they are. He's one of my favorite kid authors. Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is very cute and since I have another blog that is a monkey blog, well...of course I love what you have done!! I would be afraid of using stickers on my old plaster walls---but they sure are cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki - That's SO cool that you had the same lamp! This one has survived it all....including a house fire! It's just for decoration now....I'm a little too scared to plug it in!

    M&M and Rita - Thank you so much for the sweet comments! Oh and I think they have Eric Carl bedding with the caterpillar too. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so cute. I bet your kids just love playing in that room now!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the room looks fab! I never got around to getting bedding that matched the Cardinal theme in our oldest foster son's bedroom or I would post pictures of it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute!
    Grasscloth is one of my favorite paint colors. It looks great for a jungle theme! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol...what a fun theme!! This is awesome! You did a great job. It must be so exciting going in that room now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the monkeys! I can't believe that they are stickers- I'm sure it was such a timesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK...so I just realized that I might have messed up some of my wording about the monkey "stickers". I always call them stickers but I guess they really should be called decals. Basically, they are really thin vinyl "stickers" that can be repositioned and removed without any damage to the wall (for the most part).

    I have a large baseball guy on my other son's bedroom wall and had to take it all off and move it slightly....no problems at all! Just wanted to clear that up so they everyone understands they aren't like duck tape sticky! I love them because they are so non-committal but really big on impact.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That room has Lots of a "peel!" LOL Those are the cutest monkeys! Love the saying over the bed... in my house, the crib is the cage for the wild thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute, how could you ever be unhappy in this room. THANKS FOR SHARING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this room! I have three young sons and any of them would love it, too. We all enjoy Eric Carle's books around here, and I am so happy to see that he's part of your room. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you know that you can create your own with a Cricut? They sell the "Cricut Cuttables Adhesive Backed 3 mil Vinyl" at Wal-Mart. Approx $10 for 2 sheet of 12"x24" I don't own a Cricut machine but my new/old friend that owns a scrapbooking store cut out this awesome wording for me for my son's room! I will post on it, later this month! The room looks awesome & I am sure he will have fun monkeying around in there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy - Oh how I wish I had a Circut. There are so many great things you can do with that wonderful machine. A little out of my price range...for now! :) Looking forward to seeing your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the room.. I am a librarian.. and would love love to have the eric carle bedding.. where did you find it.. pleae email me at eatmywords40@yahoo.com
    I love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so nice! I love those books! I think it's great to do a theme around books. Great job!
    I'd love for you to join my Friday link party! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails