Friday, November 20, 2009

Gettin’ Sauced

Pin It

Before your call child welfare on me keep reading….

IMG_4883

Homemade meat sauce is one of my favorite things to make. I’ll admit, I used be a fan of the jarred stuff. However, after watching several cooking shows, I realized its not too hard to make it from scratch. And the best thing is that it tastes a bazillion times better and can be healthier for you as well. No more jarred stuff for us.IMG_4871

My husband’s always giving me a hard time about not having a set recipe for my sauce. Well, sometimes I just wing it with whatever is on hand.

Here’s my basic recipe with little add-ins to follow:

Sabby’s Meat Sauce

  • 2 lbs ground meat (beef, pork, or turkey)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 14.5-oz cans tomato sauce
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 Tbsp dried basil
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, brown meat and drain fat. Cook green pepper and onion in the same pot in the olive oil until tender. Add meat back to onion and pepper. Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic. Add milk and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add both cans of tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to reduce liquids. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and sugar. Cook for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta of choice and sprinkle with parmesan if desired.

IMG_4874

This sauce makes enough to serve with a 1lb. box of your favorite pasta with a little sauce to spare. It depends on how saucy you like your pasta. I usually go for penne because it allows the sauce to get inside the pasta and is easier for kids to eat compared to spaghetti.

Changing It up ideas:

  • Mixing the meats or adding a little diced prosciutto
  • Eliminating bell pepper or using a red or yellow bell instead
  • Trying to get more veggies in your little one’s diet? Shred carrots or add mushrooms. The sauce becomes sweeter and chunkier.
  • After adding milk and reducing it down, add a can of chicken broth and reduce down too. Adds depth of flavor
  • If you don’t have tomato sauce, try tomato paste with a little broth or water
  • Don’t have fresh garlic? Use the jarred stuff or garlic powder
  • Have fresh herbs? By all means, USE THEM!

Oh, I could go on and on. The basic message is that you CAN NOT screw this up. It’s easy and kind of fun (ok maybe that’s just me). This recipe is great for leftovers and also freezes well.

So how do you like you sauce? I love hearing new ideas!

I'm linking this to:

Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

AND

Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.

Blessed with Grace

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Looks like heaven :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails