Monday, November 16, 2009

New Love Affair with Mod Podge

Pin It

IMG_5046 Dear Spray Paint,

I hate to break this to you so publicly, but I’ve been kind of seeing other “people”….er…um….I mean other craft supplies. I hope you understand that I have to spread the love around. Don’t be jealous…you’ll always be #1 in my book.

Love, Sabby

While browsing the daily feed on my Google Reader, I happened upon this cute idea that was featured on a great blog, Living With Lindsay. I thought I’d put my own scrapbooking paper to use, since I’ve kind of slacked in the scrapping department after baby #2 came along. My word, I have LOADS of paper leftover.

I took the Mod Podge idea a little further and used the same technique on a large letter “B” for my son Braden. Then, I used coordinating scraps of paper to make a matching frame.

I started with your basic unfinished wooden frame and letter from Hobby Lobby. Luckily, I had some leftover wall paint from our recent bedroom redo and put it to use here.IMG_5043

For the “B”, I cut one kind of paper a little larger than the actual letter. After applying a thing layer of Mod Podge with a foam brush, I smoothed the paper onto the front of the letter. I used a rolling pin to eliminate any air bubbles under the paper. (Thanks for that tip, Lindsay!)IMG_5047 The process was pretty much the same for the frame, except I used the original paper and another coordinating paper in a patchy fashion.IMG_5051 After letting the pieces dry, I used a craft knife to cut away any extra paper. Then I sanded all the edges with 220 grit sandpaper. For the frame, I applied an extra layer of Mod Podge over the top to seal the different layers of paper together.IMG_5087

These frames will be great little gifts for the upcoming holidays and cost me only a few bucks to make. In fact, I already made a few more for my friends and hope to post pictures of them soon.

Of course, I’m pretty partial to what goes inside my frame too!IMG_5171-2

I’m linking this post to Kimba’s DIY Day! Check her out!

DIY Day @ ASPTL
I’m also linking up to Get Your Craft On Tuesday at Today’s Creative Blog!

Oh and I just got invited to join this tutorial party at See Mommy Sew! Woo hoo!Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I too have been wanting to see other craft supplies :) I've got to get some of this mod podge stuff! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love how you overlapped the paper... it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that frame.I have tons of scrap paper myself and am always looking for ways to use it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute. I love that you used different pattern papers. It gives it a fun look
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mod Podge ... how I love you so! This is an adorable project. I love the papers and the idea! I just did something similar with the letters of my daughter's name ... now I want to make matching frames ... so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute, I love the paper you used. I'm always looking for scrapbook paper uses, I have quite a stash myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I like how you used two different papers on the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I just did my first project with Mod Podge and I am hooked. I'm now going to do a table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice job! I like the layering you did with the paper.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a nice job and I love that you made two coordinating elements for a room. It looks like you bought these at a boutique or something!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute!....I'm hosting a tutorial contest this month and you should enter if you're in the USA...there are some lovely prizes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails