Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Turning Plastic Into Metal

Pin It

No, I’m not a miracle worker.  Well, maybe I am sometimes, but not in this case.  Over the last year, I’ve had a not-so-secret love affair going on with spray paint.  All you lovely bloggers have inspired me to turn that can on almost anything! 

Somehow, I’ve become the plant lady over the last few years.  By that, I mean the number of indoor plants in my house has substantially grown to an uncomfortable number.  Morbid as it is, I seem to inherit funeral plants from family and friends that can’t bear to throw them out, but also don’t want to take care of them either! 

Through some really rough trial and error, I’ve learned a few things on houseplant care.  One is that for some reason I can not get indoor plants to thrive in ceramic pots.  Not a clue why, but the minute I replant them in something plastic or resin they grow like crazy.  Unfortunately, some of those pots are not the most attractive things.  Dying plant won out over beauty when I was buying them.  I was just worried about getting the plants to live….can’t let that be on my conscience.  That lady killed our funeral plants!  AGH! 

Here’s a look at what I’m talking about.  Faux terra cotta works in some places…..but not my places.IMG_4862IMG_4863

This plant is UBER happy here and I really don’t want to mess things up.  I also had a ficus tree that was in one of these not so purty pots.  After reading Centsational Girl’s  post about spray painting pots, I decided to try it out with my ficus tree.  Here’s the result.IMG_4858 IMG_4860

This pot was previously forest green and a little worn.  I spruced it up using Krylon Fusion Hammered Finish in Brown Metallic.  I kept the plant inside the pot and wrapped a garbage bag up the trunk.  Two coats and I LOVE the results.  The hammered finish is pretty subtle, but that could be a result of my inexperience using this product.  Either way I still love the new finish.

Now I’m off to perform some more plastic “miracles”!

Don’t forget to check out all the cool ideas at Kimba’s DIY Day!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! What a great transformation! I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy...you have no idea how much I needed your post! I've got lots of pots...all misc. plastic ones and all different colors. I'm guessing you took the plants out of the pots to paint them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I left the plants in the pots because they're REALLY big. I then wrapped the trunk and covered the dirt with garbage bags. It worked out pretty well and saved me a messy replanting job. Of course, if you plant needs repotting, it would also be a great time to spray paint the pot too. Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails