Monday, December 7, 2009

Another Healthy Loaf – Nanner Style

Pin It

IMG_5560

We LOVE bananas around here, but every once in a while a lonely banana (or two) gets neglected and is left for dead. Not so fast….not in this house. Kind of like when you have lemons, make lemonade. When we have near rotten bananas, we make banana bread.

Using my mom’s family recipe, banana bread was one of the first real recipes that I mastered back in college. Over the last few years, I’ve started introducing more whole grains in our diet. Substituting whole wheat flour for regular all-purpose flour is one of the easiest ways to do this.

After a quick search, I found this healthier, yet completely delicious version of banana bread and never looked back. (Once again, sorry Mom!)

Although it does use a decent amount of sugar, the healthy changes (whole wheat flour, egg whites vs. whole eggs and canola oil) sold me on this recipe.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread (adapted from BettyCrocker.com)

  • 1 1/2cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • ¼ cup skim milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. IMG_5538
  3. In another bowl, beat sugar, oil, egg whites, bananas, milk and vanilla with spoon. IMG_5543
  4. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Spoon into pan.IMG_5550
  5. Bake 45 to 52 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  6. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing.

IMG_5551

YUM! This recipe is one of those go to, no fail types. The only thing you have to watch out for is making sure the center is done. I always seem to have issues with not quite done centers and almost too done outer corners. I lower my over temp by 5 degrees and my total baking time was 52 minutes.

Oh and does anyone have a clue on how to NOT have a crack down the center of quick breads? It’s never really mattered to me, but now that I’m posting pictures I’m getting a little self conscious of my “crack”. Ha! Bad…real bad.

I’ve also used this recipe with a petite loaf pan from Wilton and my baking time was around 20 minutes. Those are great for gifts around the holidays or just a nice portion size for the kiddos as well.

A few helpful tips:

  • The Frugal Girl does it again with this awesome tip for keep your cooking spray mess to a minimum by using your dishwasher door as a place to spray your pans. Sounds kooky, but I always use this trick!
  • Don’t feel like baking today, but your nanners are already looking really sad? Toss them in a Ziploc bag and throw them in the freezer. Thaw them for use on a rainy day. Works like a charm. You can also save a bunch up to make double or triple amounts of this recipe for the holidays.

So how about you? Adding any extra grains to your favorite dishes? Please share! I’m always on the lookout for inspiration.

I'm posting to













and at Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.
Blessed with GracePin It

4 comments:

  1. I love banana bread and this sounds delicious!
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a healthier recipe for banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love banana bread and enjoy trying to recipes. Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks FABULOUS! Thanks so much for sharing with TATT. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails