Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chili Recipe

Pin It

IMG_4893

During the holiday season, we tend to have more visitors than usual. Although I like to feed my company well, I also like to enjoy THEM!

This homemade meal is sure to please all and can be made ahead and kept warm in a slow cooker. The ingredients can be played with a bit like my red sauce recipe.

IMG_4891

Yes, GASP, I use a seasoning kit, but I’ve found that this particular one is cheaper and just as good as when I mix up the seasonings myself. Oh and it saves me time!!!

Sabby’s Chili

  • 2 lbs ground meat (beef, turkey, pork or combo)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
  • 2 cans tomato sauce
  • 1 Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit
  • 2 cans Dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  1. Brown meat in stock pot and drain fat.
  2. Return meat to pot and add onion and green pepper. (see NOTE)
  3. Add garlic once onions start to become translucent. If added to early it can burn.
  4. Add all tomatoes, sauce, large spice packet and salt to taste from kit. Stir together and bring to a low boil.
  5. Reduce heat, cover and cook for at least 30 minutes. Add optional cayenne pepper from kit to taste.
  6. Stir in beans and cook for 5 more minutes or longer. I usually let this cook for as long as possible to let the flavors mix well.
  7. Top with your favorite fixins’ like Co Jack cheese, crackers and sour cream and enjoy!

NOTE: I usually don’t need to add any addition oil here because there should be enough fat on the meat to cook the pepper and onions

IMG_5929

The kit also includes masa flour if you like your chili thicker. I usually don’t use this because I add cheese and crackers and that thickens it enough for me and the fam.

I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and here’s to a safe and Happy New Year!

I'm linking this up at Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

And also at Blessed with Grace!
Blessed with Grace
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your chili looks amazing!

    I love all the fixin's!

    Thank you for introducing yourself on my about me page.
    It's really nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chili does look amazing!

    It's good to see your using Carroll Shelby's world famous seasoning. I have a daughter named Shelby and I am a fan of Carroll Shelby and his cars.

    http://carrollshelby.com

    James Martell
    Publisher, KitCarConnection.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails