Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dressing Up the Christmas Mantle

Pin It

Using What You Already Have

IMG_5606

This fall, I decided to collect what was left of our Hydrangea blooms. They had dried so nicely in past years and I thought it was a shame to waste them in back yard over the winter months.IMG_4900

So I clipped them and tossed them in the garage. They stayed there for quite a while until my husband questioned me about them.

What to do…what to do???

Aha! Enter spray paint, stage left.

First I tried using up some old brushed nickel Rustoleum that I already had from another project. Good as a base coat, but a little too dull for Christmas. I ended having to buy a shiny metallic silver spray paint to get the look I wanted.

While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled each bloom with glitter. This glitter didn’t give me too much added sparkle, but it did add a snow-like texture. Good enough.IMG_5614

I already had a candle set on my mantle so I bought a rectangular piece of floral foam and placed it behind the candles. Then, I took the blooms and randomly inserted them into the foam to fill the gaps between the candles.

For an added splash of color, I used some inexpensive holiday picks that I bought at Michaels. IMG_5694

Total cost: around $5 for the foam, paint and picks. I used a 1/2 off coupon and they were having a great sale at Michaels on Christmas materials. Woo hoo!

IMG_5684

Not too shabby for a little holiday mantle spruce up. Hope you enjoyed it! Happy Holidays!

I’m linking this little project up to Kimba’s DIY Day on A Soft Place to Land on Tuesday. Check her out!

DIY Day @ ASPTL
Also, check out the Trash to Treasure party at Reinvented!



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Found you via A Soft Place to Land and I'm going to add you to my blog roll. :) We have a link party every Monday. I hope you'll join. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this is fabulous!! I never would have thought of that! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a creative use of what you already have. I'm always amazed at people who take such ordinary things and make them extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! you had me with the dried hydrangeas though! i love them. did you see that THE WHITE HOUSE put them in their SEVERAL christmas trees? on oprah's special?

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! So, did you hang the hydrangeas upside down to dry them out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley - Amazingly, they just dried while still on the plant outside during the fall. Happens every year. And then year I finally took advantage of their beautiful shape!
    Merry Christmas and thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails