Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our Christmas Home

Pin It Oh, I just LOVE Christmas!!!!

However, my Christmas decor isn’t fantastic or coordinated. There isn’t something Christmasy in every room either. Basically, it’s an eclectic bunch of things we’ve accumulated over the years. All smushed together and happy. For us, that works.

First up, our tree.

IMG_5562-1

Our tree doesn’t have a theme. The ornaments don’t match and I’m sure it wouldn’t make the cover of any home decor magazine…..but that’s what we LOVE about it.

We finally decided to go with a fake tree last year. Lights included. Saves time and well….call me lazy but I loath putting lights on a tree.

The tree is a once a year representation of who we are, the changes we’ve gone through and the things we love. The story of us, holiday style.

Call me sentimental, but I just love a good story behind an ornament. Somehow those big boxes of matchy matchy sets don’t do it for me. But a corny ornament given by a family member or friend? Now that’s my kind of holiday decor. They just take me back every year.

Like this one.

IMG_5657 My mom gave me this funny little pregnant snowman (lady) when I was pregnant with my first son. She’s complete with her ice cream cone that’s topped with pickle. Made me laugh when I really needed it. Still does.

Or this one.

IMG_5586 One of our favorite holiday movies captured by Hallmark. It lights up and Linus tells us the Christmas story. Cheezy and I love it.

Another holiday classic.

IMG_5668Again cheesy cheese balls, but that’s what we’re all about. It lights up and talks too! Hey! Don’t judge.

I’m “FRA – Gee – Lay”!

Then there’s this one.

IMG_5654 A reminder of the year we became a family of four. Complete.

Among these special ornaments, we have your standard red and silver glass balls, red beads and other odds and ends. I may add some wide wired ribbon next year instead of the beads. They’re a little tired….yawn.

As for the rest of the house…

I dressed our console/family picture table that’s in our living room room a little this year. Those apothecary jars are such a great addition to any table. IMG_5708You can change them out for each season or holiday and I love that. For fall, I had it stuffed with acorns and gourds.

This year I made use of our Hydrangea blooms that dried in the fall. Check out my recent post for me more details.

Here’s the result. IMG_5606I also snagged some great after Christmas steals at Target last year like these mini-Spruce trees for around $1 each. IMG_5601

I added some glass ornaments that I also purchased after Christmas. (50 cents for a 20 pack - Woo hoo!)

And these stocking hangers for our mantle that spell out NOEL were quite the find for $6.IMG_5682

Our stockings are nothing to write home about, but somehow still hold little goodies for all on Christmas morning. I’m working on finding a hot deal online after Christmas this year.

We also have some fun holiday traditions that are just for the kids. Ok. Ok….we love them too.

Here’s our treat plate that we leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve. It was a really sweet gift from my mother-in-law a few years ago. And Santa (aka, my hubby) truly enjoys what’s left for him each year. IMG_5700

Also pictured, a few copies of The Night Before Christmas, that we read on Christmas Eve before putting the kids to bed.

Finally, we have the Elf on the Shelf tradition started by our Auntie Debbie last year. Oh what fun it is to keep the kiddos in line with a little stuffed elf watching over them. Ha! IMG_5677

Actually my husband has the most fun with this one. He hangs the elf from all kinds of places each morning and waits to see the kids’ reactions. We’re so mean!

Oh and we do have some great outdoor decorations too…but it was like 10 degrees here the day I was taking pictures and you’ll have to just believe that its great….fabulous….perfect. (NOT!)

Well, there you have it. My holiday home. Simple, quirky and never ever perfect. Just the way it should be!

Happy Holidays!

I’m linking this post to the wonderful Christmas Tour of Homes at The Nesting Place. Head on over and get some inspiration for the season!

Christmas Tour of Homes with The Nester

Also, check out the Tree Party at Thrifty Decor Chick!

4118104865_c4fc90c13c

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Your home is beautiful!! I love everything, it's so pretty!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud when I read about your tree not having a theme... Our posts are almost identical!! So funny!! I think your tree and the rest of your decorations are fantastic... and they have true meaning behind them which is better than anything else. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty :) Love the elf on a shelf, what a beautiful picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing & Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tree. We got one with lights already on it a few years ago and it was life changing. haha The lights were always the worst part of putting up the tree. Now we can just get to the good stuff - the ornaments. We don't have a 'theme' either - just ornaments with fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Love your tree. Your home looks so cozy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! I love the ornaments...they made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks really pretty! Thanks for sharing with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your home! Beautiful decorations. I like the idea of moving the elf every morning. What fun. My boys would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the use of hydrangea! You might even put some battery tea lights in the candles to make them look lit without having your flowers go poof!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful decorations! Thank you for the holiday tour.

    Merry Christmas and many blessings in 2010.

    Cristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elf on the shelf.. so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the elf idea! I would love to start that kind of tradition!!!
    Found you at the Nester's Home Tour. If you want to see my tour you can see it here: http://beautyinallthings.wordpress.com/tag/christmas-2009/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there, love your leg lamp ornament. My girlfriend really has the lamp, its hilarious! I love Hermie, we have Zeke at our house and my husband and I love finding new spots for him. Come over and visit my blog and you will see his story!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful home! i love the Elf on the Shelf idea - too cute! i bet it is fun to move him around all the time & make the kids think he's watching them. Happy Holidays! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails