During the holiday season, we tend to have more visitors than usual. Although I like to feed my company well, I also like to enjoy THEM!
This homemade meal is sure to please all and can be made ahead and kept warm in a slow cooker. The ingredients can be played with a bit like my red sauce recipe.
Yes, GASP, I use a seasoning kit, but I’ve found that this particular one is cheaper and just as good as when I mix up the seasonings myself. Oh and it saves me time!!!
- 2 lbs ground meat (beef, turkey, pork or combo)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit
- 2 cans Dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Brown meat in stock pot and drain fat.
- Return meat to pot and add onion and green pepper. (see NOTE)
- Add garlic once onions start to become translucent. If added to early it can burn.
- Add all tomatoes, sauce, large spice packet and salt to taste from kit. Stir together and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for at least 30 minutes. Add optional cayenne pepper from kit to taste.
- Stir in beans and cook for 5 more minutes or longer. I usually let this cook for as long as possible to let the flavors mix well.
- Top with your favorite fixins’ like Co Jack cheese, crackers and sour cream and enjoy!
NOTE: I usually don’t need to add any addition oil here because there should be enough fat on the meat to cook the pepper and onions
The kit also includes masa flour if you like your chili thicker. I usually don’t use this because I add cheese and crackers and that thickens it enough for me and the fam.
I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and here’s to a safe and Happy New Year!Pin It