Saturday, February 13, 2010

Good Old Fashioned L-O-V-E: Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe

Pin It IMG_7134
I’m a total sucker for very simple tasting desserts. Rich vanilla bean ice cream. Crème Brulee. Heavenly pound cake.

And last, but definitely not least, simple old fashioned sugar cookies.

Some the best I’ve had were at my friend Sarah’s house. Her mom made them and it was love at first bite.
Sarah and her mom were nice enough to share this family favorite with me. I’ll admit, I was a little nervous about doing the recipe justice. You see, I’ve never made sugar cookies before. ACK!

As simple as they should be, I think sugar cookies are one of the harder cookies to master.
The rolling. The sticking. The cookie cutting. The crazy amounts of flour on all kitchen surfaces.

Putting my cookie failure fears aside, I decided to tackle it head on for Valentine’s Day.
To make it even more Old School…I found these cute little cookie cutters passed down from Derek’s Great Grandmother!

IMG_7156

I’m sure they’re happy to be used again.

IMG_7109

I also tried out this new baking mat that I got for free with my subscription to Real Simple. (Random, huh?)
Now, I should know by now that if Martha says something is awesome, it’s awesome. Well, she really didn’t say “Awesome!”, but I’m sure she meant it when talking about these little baking wonders.

They make baking cookies a breeze! The cookies just come right off the sheet without sticking. No more using a metal spatula to scrape the cookies off! Woo hoo!

IMG_7142

Decorating these little beauties, is more than half the fun. The possibilities are endless. You should know though, that most people enjoy these cookies in the rough. Plain Jane. DEEE-LISH!


Cochran Clan Soft Sugar Cookies
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter, at room temp to soften
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
Using a stand mixer, cream sugar and butter. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Finally, beat in the eggs and baking soda. Mix in 2 cups of the flour and then slowly add more flour until the dough can be handled. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put chill in the refrigerator for a least an hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll dough desired thickness. (mine were about 1/4”). Cut with cookie cutter and bake at 375 degrees for 8-9 minutes. The cookies will stay the same color during cooking. Don’t let them turn! Cool completely before decorating.

Makes 4-6 dozen depending on the size of the cookie cutter.

For the icing, I used a tip from Becca of Blue Cricket Designs shared the other day. I scooped some ready made icing into a small bowl and warmed it in the microwave. (~20 seconds) Stir well and then dip the tops of your cookies into the thin icing. I used various sprinkles on them while they were still wet. Let dry and enjoy!
image


I actually pulled it off! The cookie gods were with me!
Here’s a look at what my family added to the cookie decoration today. It was a fun little lazy Saturday thing to do for the kiddos….and the husband!

cookie

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cookies. I don't bake, well I do but not lately. Unless the Pillsbury cookies that slide onto the cookie sheet count. I'm going to save this recipe for a baking date with my grandson. Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...those look so yummy! I'm going to have to give that recipe a try, thanks so much for sharing!

    Blessings, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look scrumptious! I have never seen that mat before. I use Pampered Chef stoneware... cooks perfectly and nothing sticks! :)
    I hope you had a great valentine's day!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day! Thanks so much for visiting!

    Gail - I totally forgot about stoneware. I'll have to try that out next time. The mat Martha and many others use is called a Silpat. They are French, but widely available these days. From what I've heard, pastry chefs and bakers swear by them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look heavenly! I love a good, buttery, sugar cookie. I bet the addition of sour cream keeps these soft and light. You have them frosted so festively :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the cookies! They look very pretty! And I'm sure they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i made these a couple weeks ago. they were amazing! everyone loved them! using this recipe every time now!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails