Monday, February 22, 2010

Gooey Goodness - Stuffed Mushrooms

Pin It

Last week, I made baked manicotti for my hubby for our “in-house” Valentine’s Day dinner.

IMG_7201

Yummy Gooey LOVE!

The recipe made more than enough for that night and at least one night of leftovers.

To jazz up leftover night, I decided to make an unexpected side dish. Normally, I save these for parties or holidays, but since the main dish was already prepared, I had a little more time to spend on a yummy side.

One gooey thing deserves another, right?

IMG_7237

Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

  • 1 lb mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
  • 1 lb seasoned pork sausage, any variety
  • 2 tablespoons onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

In a medium skillet, cook sausage until browned, drain fat and place into a medium bowl. Mince mushroom stems. Cook minced stems in fat that remains in the skillet. Add garlic and onion. Cook a few more minutes. Add mushroom mixture to drained sausage and allow to cool slightly. Add parmesan cheese and HALF of the mozzarella cheese to the bowl and mix well.

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Place mushroom caps in a greased baking dish. Stuff each cap with the mushroom and sausage mixture. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the mushrooms. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.

Before going into the oven:IMG_7227

And after…IMG_7236

I’ve made this recipe with both breakfast and Italian seasoned pork sausage and it all works. You can even try bulk pork sausage and season it the way you like it.

Also, there will be some of the sausage mixture remaining so you could use it to stuff additional mushrooms if you have them OR use it to top a pizza. Maybe an omelet? It’s too good to just toss it!

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! Those look superb. I would be the only one eating them in my house though and that is just plain sad. They look as if they WANT to be eaten. bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I agree, I usually make them as a appetizer for a party, but a side dish for dinner sounds fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuuuuummmmmmmm x a hundred.
    too bad my husband haaates mushrooms :(
    these look super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you served party food to your guy - makes it more special :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy! I love stuffed mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails