Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stop Buggin’ Me, Mr. Weevil

Pin It

It’s the middle of winter.

I haven’t seen a spider, fly or even a gnat for months.

Then, this little guy appears.

IMG_7216 

Gross to admit to the entire world, I suppose. 

Welcome to my bug filled home.  Now, let’s make some cookies!

Okay, so it’s not filled with bugs.  That’s a slight exaggeration.  I found about a dozen total so far.

To me, that was enough. 

The worst part?  Not knowing what the heck he/she/it was.  I Goggled “What the heck is this bug?” and came across…

Trumpets please…

whatsthatbug

Yes, there is a website completely devoted to bug identification and all things buggy really.  Genius!

First, I tried to search the site to spot possible images of my new house mate.  Then I realized that these guys have done a LOT of bug research.

I took my chance at submitting an “Ask What’s That Bug” questionnaire, even after reading this below disclaimer.

Please understand that we have a very small staff that does this as a labor of love. We cannot answer all submissions (not by a long shot). And while we appreciate the support, donating through the PayPal link does *not* increase your chances of having your identification request answered.

Fair enough.  I’ll give it a whirl.

To my amazement, I was given the bug’s name in less than 24 hours!  I plugged “Grain Weevil” into their site search engine and a pretty extensive list of info popped out! 

Grain Weevil.  My new arch nemesis. 

So what’s the big deal with naming this creature?  Well, I’ve learned that some bugs aren’t worth making the house all toxic just to ease my “fear” of them.  Some are, gross as they seem, actually helpful.

However, as small as these little weevils are, (less than 1/4 inch long) they can do some serious pantry infestation damage.  Therefore, we’re opting to rid our house of them. 

RIP Grain Weevil.

IMG_7219

Hopefully we won’t end up on their “Unnecessary Carnage Page”!

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. That thing is disgusting. I hate bugs. I shouldn't have all boys then! We constantly have Japanese Beetles in our house. Even during the winter. It's disgusting. Good luck with your bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bugs and boys! What gives? My 2 year old was fascinated with the one I captured above to take pics. "Lemme see it mommy!"

    Oh and I have a deep rooted hate for Japanese Beetles....they can wipe out bushes and trees in a heartbeat. A summer struggle I don't look forward too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't spray them, but kept them air tight for a bit to kill any critters. I followed your link and found the bug that has invaded our home! The letter written in could have been written by me and I'm in Pa too! http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/02/18/brown-marmorated-stink-bugs-invade-home/

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That's a nasty looking guy you have the Jen. So did they truly "stink" if you squished them? Ewww. We used to have a variety of stink bugs around when I was a kid and we tested out the stink factor. Bad, I know. Rural farm town kids with nothing better to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a brave girl. Bugs, yuk! but unfortunately we all get them. I could tell you horror stories of lets see...the ants infestation and termites in Southern California, the water bugs in Texas, the fleas in the carpet in Northern California from the previous home owners dogs, the field mice in a just built home in Oregon....you get my point. Sad thing is, I'm OCD about cleaning so my motto is NOT ON MY WATCH and the critters still seem to find my home! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I have Jamie the bug guy. I am not into toxic sprays etc. but in Bakersfield we have black widows the size of grapes. When we moved in I killed 24 on just one side of my house. I get out in the dark and smashed them with my Swiffer Sweeper thing. The insident has become known as my murderous rage against spiders. Then we got Jamie and all the bugs die outside now.
    Good luck evicting your unwanted guests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I just found your blog thru my friend Sarah at Hennessey house. Love it and I added you to my google reader!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails