Saturday, February 6, 2010

Super Bowl Party – Black Bean Salsa

Pin It We’re going to a party at a friend’s house tomorrow and I’ve decided to make my Black Bean and Corn Salsa. Some people call it Cowboy Caviar. I call it Yum Yummy!
IMG_6883
Tangy, spicy, salty and a little sweet!
It’s a fairly simple recipe as long as you don’t mind a little choppin’. Otherwise, the only other skill needed is being master of the can opener.
IMG_6886
Enjoy!
Sabby’s Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Mix all of the following, EXCEPT the cilantro, in large glass bowl, cover and chill overnight:
  • (3) cans black beans, rinse and drain
  • (1) can yellow corn mixed with (1) can white corn, rinse and drain; use about 3/4 of mix for salsa
  • (3) cans Rotel w/chilies (drained)
  • (1) red bell pepper, diced
  • (1) green bell pepper, diced
  • (2) fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced (use more or less to taste)
  • ½ red onion, chopped
  • (3) cloves fresh garlic, fine chopped
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp. chili powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. sugar
  • ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
Add the cilantro the next day. If added the night before it will become soggy. Serve with tortilla chips.
pq pq pq
IMG_6898This is what my salsa looks like tonight sans cilantro. It’s happily resting in the refrigerator, letting all of those flavors melt together.
Helpful Notes:
  • This recipe makes a HUGE amount so use a large bowl to mix it. I then divide it up, keeping some to top quesadillas or tacos on another day. Yum!
  • Corn: If you can’t find white corn, I’m sure it doesn’t hurt to skip it. Just adds a little contrast. UPDATED:  I used to use small cans of corn for this recipe, but found using some of two larger cans mixed together to be more frugal.  So I mix one 14 oz can of white with one can of yellow and add 3/4 of that mixture to the salsa.
  • Jalapenos: I usually buy 2, seed and chop 1 and see if it seems strong. If so, I only use 1 ½. The amount you use can depend on the crowd you’re serving too. My parents can’t handle near the spice that my husband and his friends like.
  • Last minute: I’ll taste this tomorrow morning and see if it needs little more of this or that. Sometimes vinegar, sometimes sugar or salt. You decide.
Have a GREAT Super Bowl weekend!

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! This sounds yummy. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious & very easy! You should checkout my blog for an easy recipe on goulash, great for a cold winter's dinner! Love your blog~fun reading about another Midwest girl's life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe for the superbowl! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuuuummm, this looks sooo good! :)

    (and on a completely unrelated-to-salsa note... yay! i am so happy to hear you'll be getting a sewing machine! i think Brother is a great brand, i have heard all good things. my machine is made by "White," i honestly have no idea how reputable it is, but i've had it for almost 5 years with no problems, knock on wood. i would suggest going to a fabric store and chatting with the employees, get a couple of different recommendations and see what features you'd want. and if you buy from a craft store or fabric store, they usually come with a free lesson or two. my parents got mine from JoAnn Fabric and the little ole' lady who taught me about all my machine's features was so cute and helpful! so sorry for the long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really healthy too. I like the way you took the picture..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe. Sounds wonderful.

    I tried copying and printing. No luck so I emailed it to myself and hopefully that will work - although I don't think my email directly from my blogger works. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and copy the recipe the old fashioned way...by hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoooooo... That looks DELISH!!! I love black bean and corn salsa. I'm going to try this one. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed with how colorful it is lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean by a little can? I'm used to buying cans that I guess you would call regular size, about 14 ounces, but there are also bigger cans that hold about 28 ounces. Is a little can smaller than the 14 ounces, or is it smaller than that?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails