Friday, March 26, 2010

Fillin’ My Jar - Spring Eggs

Pin It

IMG_7871

Last fall, I bought this large apothecary jar from Home Goods and immediately filled it with gourds and acorns. Then at Christmas, I filled it will shiny Christmas tree ornaments.

Unfortunately, it has sat empty since we took the Christmas decorations down in January!! I had aspirations to fill it with hearts in February…that didn’t happen.

Now, at the very last minute, I finally filled it with something Easter/Springish. I knew I wanted to fill it with eggs, but finding the right ones at the right price was more difficult than I thought.

IMG_7869

Finally, I found these unfinished paper mache-type eggs at Michael’s the other night and decided to decorate them myself. They were only $1.99/6-pack!

With a little craft paint, some foam brushes and an old toothbrush (and a LOT tweaking!), this is what I ended up with.

IMG_7876 IMG_7875

I thought that a dozen eggs would fill the jar up, but it looked a little stark. So, I added some Spanish moss to the bottom of the jar to get a fuller look.

IMG_7882

I kept the eggs more neutral and less pastel/Easter so that I can keep them in the jar longer. Looking back at my track record with this jar, I thought longevity was key. ;)

Hope you enjoyed my little last minute Spring project!

I’m linking up to the below parties!


DIY Day @ ASPTL
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Those are super cute Sabby! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! I might have to go and get some of this to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spanish moss??? Your eggs look awesome and that moss just adds the jewelry to the jar. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely delightful! I love the colors and speckles! I hopped over from Fun to Craft and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week! until later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors you used! Found you on New Friend Friday! Can't wait to look around your blog....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors of the eggs and the moss is perfect. I checked out your laundry room also, looks great.
    I just might have to follow to see what you are up to next.
    Visiting from New Friend Friday.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! You are very creative and crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the fact that you did them various colors. It makes the collection so unique. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi: Arrived here from First Friend Friday!
    Love this story and your use of color: please see my blog for lots on color and design inspiration... I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look gorgeous! I love the spanish moss in the bottom! Very cute! Thanks so much for linking to Creative Cats!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great! The moss was an excellent touch. Looks like I'm going to Micheal's today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I like the muted colors. The eggs I have in my apothecary jar are more pastel. And I love spanish moss, always a great filler.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so very Easter without being corny. I love it! I could never do something like that. I attempted my first floral arrangement, but as far as painting goes...

    You have such lovely talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! You are right that these fake eggs can be so expensive! I ended up buying a bag of stale robin's egg candy at the Dollar Tree and putting them in my apothecary jar!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails