Sunday, March 7, 2010

Goody Goody Goodwill - Coffee Table Redo

Pin It Finally, my local Goodwill was fruitful in the furniture department!
After almost a year of lustfully lurking around blogland at everyone’s Goodwill makeovers, I finally have one of my own to share.
BEFORE (Please excuse the darkened look of my pictures. During the winter months, my basement is my workshop.)IMG_7246
AFTERIMG_7615
Not bad for only $15, right? A solid wood table with little to no scratches. It’s only draw back was the color. It was that blond pinkish wood stain from the 80’s/90’s. Easy fix!
First, I tried to sand it down by hand. Then, I finally decided it was time to get one of these.IMG_7248
I could see Carpenter Dad beaming from 130 miles away! The legs still had to be sanded down hand, but this made the top a breeze.
Using a good quality synthetic bristle brush, I applied one coat of Rustoleum’s Painters Touch Primer in Grey.
IMG_7458
It was my first time using brushable Rustoleum paints…I’m usually a spray paint gal. Since the winter weather is still lingering up here in Illinois, I had to try something else out.
The Frugal Girl has some wonderful furniture painting tips and several inspiring posts using the brushable Painter’s Touch paint. I decided to give it a try.
IMG_7446
After one coat of primer, you could still see the wood grain coming through.
Then, I applied 3 thin coats of the Rustoleum Painter’s Touch in Black Semi-Gloss.
IMG_7460
Using thin coats is key with this paint. The thinner coats keep the finish looking flawless. It takes some patience, but the results are wonderful.
Here’s what it looked like with the first thin coat.
IMG_7457
Another tip: I found it easier to work on the legs then the top. Meaning that I did all three coats of black on the legs first, flipped it over and did three coats on the top. IMG_7449
You should also try to keep with the grain of the piece, if there is one. This makes any brush strokes less visible.
The picture below shows how you can still see the grain on top of the finished table. IMG_7633
After leaving the final coat of black paint dry overnight, I applied Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish in Satin. This will hopefully make the piece stand up better to my little guys torture. (One coat all over, and a second coat on top.)
IMG_7631
This project has converted me to the Painter’s Touch brand on certain large projects for sure. It goes on so smooth and brush strokes just disappear.
The formula is much thinner than regular paint, which creates the need for multiple coats. In the end, the results are totally worth it.
Now I need to figure out what to put on top of my lovely finished table.
Although, the boys have already “decorated” it with superheroes and Matchbox cars. Try working with that color palette.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m linking this post up to the below parties! Check them out for some fabulous inspiration!
Susan’s Metamorphasis Monday, Kim's Make Your Monday, Kimba’s DIY day, Kimm’s Trash to Treasure Tuesday, Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell, Maryann's Power of Paint Party, Gina’s Transformation Thursday, Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Friday.
Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It

58 comments:

  1. What an awesome job you did!~ WOW I never have that good of luck myself in Goodwill with furniture!~ You should feel proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love LOVE what you did with the table! I just painted my first piece of furniture with black paint. It's an amazing transformation. Thanks for showing each step of the way. I may try that brand of paint sometime. The finished project looks fabulous! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am looking for a similar coffee table for my living room, and you can't beat $15 and a little elbow grease!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I recently did my coffee table in black, too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the painting tips. I need all I can get when painting furniture. I've had some real bombs. The table looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I am desperate to find a coffee table like that to paint, guess what color? I love black, your table is perfectly classic. I am on the hunt now, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks fabulous!!

    Oh, and those cinnamon twists look SO delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful! I have never used Painter's Touch... I might have to give it a try! Great job!
    ~Jennifer
    www.studiojru.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definately be trying that paint. you did great and that table looks like it just arrived from a high end furniture store.. applause~!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful and even more amazing is that you found it at Goodwill. Is this the same Goodwill by the mall or have you found a gold mine elsewhere? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks beautiful! I am a HUGE painter of furniture...thinking of doing a coffee table in black next, so this was a wonderful surprise! The finish is incredibly smooth--good enough to eat on! :) so glad I found you through make your monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so great and what a bargain for $15!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I am so jealous! I never find anything that amazing......Love what you done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That table looks awesome!!! I gave away a table several years ago that was exactly like that and after seeing your photos, I could kick myself.

    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm always on the prowl for taking the pain our of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice. Thanks for the paint tip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out beautiful. I would never know that it was a Goodwill find. It's gorgeous now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paint makes such a difference! I have so many things I want to paint but just don't have the courage. Thanks for the inspiration...I am working my way up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! You have to be thrilled with the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Love black. I am a new follower!Following you from Beneath Naps On The Porch.


    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great job! All of your painstaking care, paid off. Wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. For your first you did really well!Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your table looks beautiful! Black has a way of dressing up everything and making it look better! Nice job. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so great - black paint makes it look so fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your table turned out so beautiful. Thanks for the tip on the painters touch, I might have to go get that for my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really turned out so great! Never in a million years would I have thought it was a $15 Goodwill table!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It came out beautiful! I love thrift stores, so many treasures to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow! it looks great! I use that paint all the time. I really like it a lot!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your table turned out beautifully and I'll have to look for some of that paint! I love the black!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice job!! and yes, isn't it wonderful to finally own your own electric sander? :) i love this table in black.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is beautiful! Thank you for the tips on the paint. I plan to paint my kitchen chairs black, and wasn't exactly sure where to start. Stop by Blissful Chaos to check out my progress!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, what a wonderful look. I will have to try this. I'm painting quite a bit of furniture right now...we are moving my parents in with us which seems to cause me to do a million painting projects! Hahaha....not sure why I'm painting all of this now...instead of when I had more time! But I love how you showed every step. This is great! What a wonderful blog you have too. I love it!
    Have a blessed day and come by for a visit sometime!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just lovely!
    Following you over from The Shabby Chic Cottage. I am a follower!
    Please stop by!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ohhh, that looks AWESOME! That paint does rock, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great job on the table Sabrina !!

    Barb Partyka

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's amazing what paint will do...especially black paint. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great find - and your paint job looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love what you've done with the table! Way cuter your way!

    ReplyDelete
  38. looks great!

    found you via miss mustard seed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  39. This looks like a brand new piece of furniture! Thanks for the tip about the Painter's Touch brand.

    Scribbler at
    http://scribbler-unfocused.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just came over from Shabby Chic Cottage and I love your table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Here from Frugal Girl--what an awesome paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That turned out fabulous! Thanks for the painting tutorial and recomendation on paint. I have so many projects on the to do list, that was motivation! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a black beauty! Thanks for sharing it at the POPP.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a find and what a redo! I just went to Goodwill for the first time-it is not nearby-and it was disappointing. I guess you have to go back again and again to find a beauty like you did!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  45. this table looks great! and those legs are so fresh & shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  46. absolutely perfect! I'll have to go check out painter's touch, I hear its really great (and I have some definite paint work coming up!)

    ReplyDelete
  47. It looks really good! That's a great find and a great paint job. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Just a lovely job. I may need to check out that paint, now.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very nice! I'm definitely going to check out that paint; it looks flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love this....thinking about doing this to a big wooden kitchen table!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails