Sunday, March 28, 2010

Goody Goody Goodwill – Lamp Revamp

Pin It

I found this little lamp the other day at GW and thought it would be a great addition to our master bedroom. I was looking for a short and kind of rotund lamp…check!

Accessories

Brass base? Um, no.

Easy fix?

Sort of.

I was feeling kind of lazy and didn’t want to tape off the entire lamp just to spray paint the base. Also, I was pretty sure that if I kept the base attached while trying to spray paint, I would most certainly get paint on the pretty white glass.

There is a small nut underneath the base that basically keeps the entire central part of the lamp together. Removing the base made for much easier spray painting and didn’t take any time at all.

I figured removing paint overspray from the white glass would be MUCH more time consuming!

After separating the two pieces, I covered the glass with newspaper, being sure to cover the hole in the bottom. THAT would have been a nasty mess too! Black paint inside white glass? Ugh. I can’t even imagine.

IMG_7772

I spray painted the base, with Rustoleum’s Flat Black. After a few light coats, I had a brand new lamp.

IMG_7863

To top it off, I bought a black lampshade from Walmart. The black shade gives off a softer light in our bedroom which I LOVE!

IMG_7767 (2) IMG_7850

Total cost: Less than $10! The lamp itself was only $3. I love Goodwill!

I’m linking up to the below parties. Check them out for some fabulous inspiration!

Jen's Weekend Wrap Up, Remodelaholic's Anonymous Meeting, Susan’s Metamorphasis Monday, Kim's Make Your Monday, Kimba’s DIY day, Kimm’s Trash to Treasure Tuesday, Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell, Maryann's Power of Paint Party, Gina’s Transformation Thursday

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. This turned out great. I also love Goodwill! I can always find something good.

    I'm featuring a giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great GW buy. The base looks great in black and makes the classic white vase really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I agree, the brass HAD to go, I'm not sure if I would have seen the potential, but I really like how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much such a small change can make a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love GW too! I just bought a lamp there the other day and still working on the details to transform it into something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! It looks like a brand new lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo, nice find! and a great makeover. I hear ya, sometimes I reeeeally dread taping such a small thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great transformation! Looks so much better black. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so much prettier! What a transformation ...makes me so happy that I stopped by! I'm following you back! I hope to see you at my place one day this week when you get a moment. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could not look better. You have a great eye. Hope you'll drop by and see our lavender fantasy bath. -- Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Your lamp looks great! You have a fabulous Goodwill!
    Sincerely ~ Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the black shade! What a wonderful, simple solution for a new lamp! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved Ginger Jar lamps...
    you did good!

    Sandy

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That's great! It looks more modern, now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sabrina,
    Just visiting from Remodelaholic...love your lamp redo and your bedroom dressers turned out fab! I was looking at our pine dresser the other day and contemplating painting it...still undecided esp. since I have a million other projects to do!
    Please stop by when you get a chance and check out my lamp makeover at the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com and leave me a comment...i love comments too!!
    judi ;)
    happy easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This lamp is so chic! Love it!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got a few lamps I need to do this too. Thanks for linking up to the Power of Paint Party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job. I love the black and white look! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you get the green price sticker off without taking some of the lamp's original finish off? That is a beauty; ginger jar lamps are my favorite lamps too..will always be in style I think.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails