Monday, March 1, 2010

Meals on the Fly – Tater Tot Casserole

Pin It

IMG_7300

No novel ideas here today, but hopefully a useful reminder of an old favorite.

While I love cooking from scratch, sometimes I have a few quick family friendly meal ideas up my sleeve. Hey, when you’re in a hurry, anything that doesn’t require an answer to the question, “Hello, can I take you order?” is a good thing, right?

This recipe is a variation of one that many a busy mother (including my own) has used. Not super healthy, but usually a kid pleaser….husbands too!

The great thing is that you can make a variety of substitutions to fit your tastes. You could use ground beef or chicken instead of turkey and change out the veggie or type of soup. You can also use light or fat free versions of the sour cream, soup and cheese too.

Tater Tot Casserole

  • 1lb. ground turkey or beef
  • 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
  • 1 can green beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup shredded cheese like cheddar or colby jack
  • 1 bag tater tots (most of a regular sized bag)

Preheat oven to 350. Brown ground turkey and add minced onion while cooking. Drain meat. Place ground turkey mixture and green beans in bottom of 2-quart casserole dish.

IMG_5633

In a small bowl, mix sour cream and soup. Spoon this mixture over beef and beans and gently mix.

IMG_5638

Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese on top. Neatly arrange tots over the cheese, covering entire dish.

IMG_5644

Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until casserole bubbles and tots are done.

IMG_5646

Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the tots. Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt cheese. Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.

IMG_7295

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.

Check them both out for some great meal inspiration!

Also, there is a special party going on this week at Simply Modern Mom. She is trying to assemble 365 recipes in order to have "Enough recipes to cover your taste buds for a year." Sounds like a great idea to me!

Over-used Recipes SwapPin It

13 comments:

  1. Hi Sabrina, I've missed checking you and your life out lately. I think I deleted you, but now I'm a happy follower again!

    Always in the market for new or old recipes. My family has never had tater tot casserole so maybe this will be dinner one night this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Funky Lady! Thanks for stopping by! Can't believe you've never had this casserole! It was one in the weekly/monthly menu rotation growing up. Hope you find time to enjoy some tots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A favorite with my kids for sure. We usually use frozen broccoli instead of the green beans but otherwise, it is basically the same recipe :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabby, thank you for the tater tot casserole recipe! Looks easy & yummy! One of my criteria for a good recipe is: can I remember all of the ingredients while standing in a crowded grocery store? I am trying it tonite!~CathyM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sabrina! I'm stopping over from the Over-Used Recipe Swap. This sounds good an easy - can you believe I've never had a tater tot casserole? Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had this recipe before either but it looks really yummy. I like everything with tater tots :0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow-does this look and sound delicious. My kids (also code for ME) will love this. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to work for a woman who made something like this! I have not thought about it in forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tater tot casserole. I wish someone in my house would eat it with me. Too many picky eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sabby,
    Found your blog through Tatertots and Jello/Overused Recipe Swap. I have been needing a new dinner recipe and this looks so yummy. It has everything my kids eat. I went to the grocery story this morning and got all the ingredients to make for dinner tonight, can't wait to try it! Thanks!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Shannon! I hope this works out for you tonight! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sabrina,
    This is my first time on your blog, I don't know how I got here but I'm glad I did. This recipe looks delicious, I'm going to try it tonight, thank goodness I have all the ingredients at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! This look so good!! I would love it, if you would share this, & any other recipes you may have, on my recipe link up. http://goodrecipesonline.com/organized-linkup-for-all-your-recipes-goodrecipesonline-com/.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails