Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sabby’s Soup Kitchen – Meaty Minestrone

Pin It

Soup. I love soup. We love soup.

IMG_7666

Most recipes are relatively simple, can be made ahead and there is usually loads of leftovers. What’s not to love??

This recipe is no exception. It’s a one pot wonder that makes a ton and still tastes superb days later.

Minestrone means “The Big Soup” and there are countless ways to prepare it. From what I’ve read, its usually based on what’s seasonal and available to the cook.

Here’s what I recently cooked up. IMG_7665 (2)

Meaty Minestrone

  • 1 package Italian sausage links
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 zucchini sliced
  • 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 Tablespoon dried basil
  • 3 cans fat free beef (or vegetable) broth
  • 2 cups of vegetable juice
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 lb shell pasta, uncooked
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Remove casings from sausage. Use scissors to cut links in to bite sized pieces (*see Note and photo below). In a large stock pot, brown meat, drain fat and put meat to the side. Cook onion for 5-10 minutes until translucent. Add garlic, carrots, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for an additional 10 minutes minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, juice and beans. Bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 30 minutes or longer to meld flavors. Add pasta 10 minutes before serving. Grate parmesan cheese over individual serving bowls and ENJOY!

IMG_7673

NOTES:

Sausage: I used sausage links in this recipe, but of course you could substitute about a pound of your favorite bulk sausage as well.

To remove casings and cut up the sausage, I used my handy kitchen shears.IMG_7641

Here’s what my sausage pieces looked like while cooking.IMG_7637

Vegetarian?: My version contains meat, although many varieties are vegetarian. If you would like my version sans meat, then exclude the sausage and switch the beef broth to vegetable broth.

Mix it up!: You can also feel free to add or subtract to suit your family’s tastes or try different types of beans. Just another recipe where the possibilities are limitless.

Leftovers: After this soup sits in the refrigerator, the pasta and beans soak up a lot of the liquid. You may want to add additional liquid (water or vegetable juice) or just eat it in its thicker form. Either way, it’s sill DEE-LISH!

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.Check them both out for some great meal inspiration!

I’m also joining the party at Designs by Gollum this Friday!

image

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. A perfect soup...looks devine :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks so yummy! I am going to make it tomorrow. I am also a soup girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious (though I never had minestrone) and it looks simple enough that i could make it! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabby, I made your soup last night & everyone agreed that is it was soooo yummmmy! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fantastic. I like it with sausage.
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This in-between, decidedly un-springlike weather calls for a hearty soup like this. Thanks so much for the recipe and for sharing it at FF!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails