Monday, April 26, 2010

Coming To Terms with Giada, Rigatoni with Sausage, Artichokes and Asparagus

Pin It
Alternative Title: Coming To Terms With Giada By Being Like Giada…minus the brown hair, wide smile and authentic Italian accent”

A few years ago (yes, years!), I clipped this article and recipe out of O magazine.

IMG_8609

Initially, the above shot of a yummy pasta dish drew me.

Then I read the article and was completely sold.

The author wrote about the way to a man’s heart through food… and her husband’s obsession with Giada de Laurentiis.

This little tidbit made me laugh. Why? Well, my husband has the same obsession for the Food Network’s Italian tartlet. Why else would he watch FN? It’s certainly not for Bobby Flay. (Honey, if you’re reading this, don’t be mad. Just statin’ the facts. Hee hee!)

IMG_8554

So, it’s now 2010 and I finally made this wonderful dish! Like the author, I’ve come to terms with my hubby’s love for the always smiling, Giada and made one of her recipes.

Of course, it wouldn’t be me without a few adjustments.

The recipe called for 3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes…I only had 1/2 cup left. So I added some fresh tomatoes to the dish at the end.

It also asked for 2 packages of artichokes, but I only used 1…those things are pricey AND I thought it would be artichoke overload. I added extra asparagus instead. YUM!

There are a few other modifications that I made as well, like not having fresh basil and parsley on hand. It still turned out wonderful and my 7 year old totally devoured it.

Rigatoni with Sausage, Artichokes and Asparagus

(This recipe was adapted from Everyday Pasta, by Giada de Laurentiis and printed in the O magazine-April 2008. And now modified by yours truly. Enjoy!)

  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, drained
  • 1 lb hot or mild Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 (8 ounce) packages artichoke hearts, frozen
  • 2 1/2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (plus extra for serving)
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons parley flakes, dried
  • 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)

Cook sausage in a large deep skillet until browned, breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces (not minced), about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl. Remove all but a few tablespoons of oil from skillet. Add the artichokes, asparagus and garlic to the same skillet and sauté over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, wine, sun-dried tomatoes, basil and parsley. Boil over medium-high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta.

Add the pasta, sausage, ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese and fresh tomatoes to the artichoke mixture. Toss until the sauce is almost completely absorbed by the pasta. Stir in the mozzarella, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and use additional Parmesan cheese as garnish.

IMG_8553

Of course, this isn’t a diet recipe, but you could modify it even more with a few more substitutions like turkey sausage, low-fat mozzarella and low carb or whole wheat pasta.

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.

Check them both out for some yummy inspiration!

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Great recipe but even better disclosure,lol. Love it. It's harmless when our hubby's have a "love connection" with a TV personality.

    Daisy Fuentes is my husband's crush and has been for years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to toss this one together! Sounds yummy and I love your cute pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! Artichokes - how can you go wrong? Come link to Tuesday Tastes! I would love to have you!

    www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm couldn't resist clicking on this one, for sure! Looks and sounds delicious!

    My husband swears that he doesn't think Giada is anything special. And it's not that "Oh nonono, honey, I don't think she's pretty!" sort of thing. It's more like "Meh", and he goes back to whatever he's doing. I think he has a really weird sense of taste. Which doesn't say much for ME! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds delicious! one of my male friends got to cook with Giada a few years ago when she visited our town! he is still in love with her (& his wife knows it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thin that my middle would like to be hates my love for pasta! I buy the healthy stuff, but I still overdo it. I swoon for the texture of pasta. It is magic for my mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails