Monday, April 12, 2010

GW Tray Makeover

Pin It

I finally got around to fixing up my tray over the weekend that I found on a recent Goodwill trip.

Before:

IMG_7775

I started by sanding the top a a little to try to remove the Christmas decals…I still feel guilty about it.

Those little buggers were on there to stay. I think they are actually rub-on’s so I couldn’t peel them off. Sanding was the best option.

After a few light coats of primer, I realized that I was going to have to cover the base of the tray with something. The outline of the decals were still showing through…baby Jesus included. Was that an omen?

I hope not because I covered the entire tray with flat black spray paint and added a fun piece of scrapbook paper to the bottom.

IMG_8285

The paper was originally straight up black and white which was a little too perfect looking to me. After attaching it to the tray with Mod Podge, I dry brushed the paper with watered down craft paint.

IMG_8289

Then, after the paint dried, I coated the paper with Mod Podge. To finish the piece and give it some water resistance, I coated the entire tray with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear in satin.

IMG_8299

I really love the way this $1 find turned out. The supplies for my spruce up were all on hand so I guess you could say the total cost was still around $1!

IMG_8295

Oh and thanks to my hubby for the pretty flowers! Can you believe they have lasted since Easter Sunday?

I’m linking up to:

Kimba’s DIY day

Kimm’s Trash to Treasure Tuesday

Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Great job! It looks so good, you would never have known thats what it was before! Love your yellow and white flowers, yea spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's perfect. Love the good finds and even better when they turn out beautiful, like your tray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It came out so nice! Love the pattern you chose. And the birdies and flowers look so pretty on it@

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! I guess baby Jesus was meant to stay there to watch over your lovely family. No guilt~it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tray is beautiful, and I love the flowers!
    Yeah, I would have felt a little guilty covering up the Baby Jesus too.
    thanks for your very kind words about my giant faux clock.
    have a great day!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowsa! nice work! don't feel guilty about sanding down the baby jesus, it had to be done :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way your tray turned out! I have those same little birds, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your makeover! How awesome. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I have something that had an etching in it and the paint just wouldn't fill it in, so I'm going to need to do something similar to what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I looked at the "before" before I read anything and thought, oh she did a good job with the cute little Christmas scene! I know I would have felt a little guilty too but the after looks amazing!

    Thanks for visiting my blog too! I'll have fun poking around your blog. I'll have to see about the chiro. My husband has been going and I gave him such a hard time about it calling him old fart and other not so nice things! Now I wish I had kept my mouth shut! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! Love the print on the scrapbook paper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super fabulous transformation! Lovin the black and white print. Stop by the Sunday Showcase party if you get a chance. Great find - wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great Sabrina, even if you did sand off Baby Jesus... :)

    Gamma Bob

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, gosh I love that also, u r so talented

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails