Monday, April 5, 2010

Recent Frugal Finds

Pin It

Along with my lucky lamp find, I’ve found some other great inexpensive accessories lately that I’d like to share.

First up, I found these adorable ceramic birdies at Michael’s for $1/each! IMG_8238

I’ve searched Goodwill over and over to find a pair like this. I figured I would have to spray paint them like so many others I’ve seen in blogland. So, of course I was super tickled to find these. IMG_8240

So cheap and just the right color! I even like the crackle finish.

Next…shield your eyes. This one is blinding.IMG_7774

“Honey, what’s with the golden artichoke?”

That’s what my husband said when he saw this in my basement “workshop” area. Ha!

IMG_8244

A few light coats of flat white spray paint to this $4 beauty and I think it looks a LOT better…..no offense to you gold and black fans. The darker color still shows through a little, but I like it that way.

Husband: “Okay, what’s with the other artichoke?”

IMG_8241

Well, its not an artichoke. Or is it? Not sure, but I thought for $2 at Michael's I could find a home for it. Still undecided on whether I need to paint it or not. What do you guys think?

And last, but not least, I found this little tray at GW for $1 during my lamp shopping trip. IMG_7775

Obviously, I haven’t fixed it up yet…maybe I feel guilty about sanding and spraying over baby Jesus? Especially, during the Easter season! Just sounds wrong doesn’t it?

Well, I hope it doesn’t offend anyone, but I’m going to paint it and do a little distressing to the finish and maybe bust out the Mod Podge. Sounds like a good project to get me back in the DIY decor groove this week.

I'm linking to:

image

DIY Day @ ASPTL
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I have one of those cute birdies! :) Your makeovers look great...can't wait to see what you do with the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two of these birdies! I paid a dollar more than you though! I am going to rush out to Michael's and check to see if there are more left! FRUGAL SCORE on the rest of you lovelies.

    I have one of those artichoke thingies...going to have to spray paint mine, since yours looks soooo fantasic after it's make over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good hunting. Lots of goodies there. Adorable birds. Love the big artichoke. I saw one similar at Home Goods and loved it. I think the little artichoke (or is it a pineapple) could use a coat of something. You bring good junk to life and I'm sure that piece will look like a million bucks very soon.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I think that "second artichoke" is actually a pineapple. It was common in the south for them to be on newel posts of banisters, was a sign of welcome. I've also read that southerners would leave a pineapple in the bedroom of a houseguest who had overstayed his welcome, as a sign of "time to go." Don't know if it's true, but it's a cute anecdote anyway. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those birds are so cute! I got a little cherub head at Michael's last month that's made of the same white cracked finish. Your tray is so cute and I'm sure baby Jesus won't mind a coat of paint:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your "finds". Can't wait to see the tray re-vamped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the artichoke. As for the birds, I bought four of these at Michael's but they are a sage green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so awesome. I just adore looking at it. I am your newest follower friend. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with those white birds! I picked up several at the Dollar Tree and they are sitting pretty around my house. I have not been out thrift shopping in a few weeks and I am ready to go! Such good finds!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails