Monday, April 12, 2010

Southwest Chicken and Pasta Skillet

Pin It

I’d LOVE to do that whole menu planning thing and I’m really working up to it.  For now, though, I plan about three days out.

Then, some nights, I just wing it. 

IMG_7829

Looking in the pantry and refrigerator, I found these items plus a can of black beans and a can of corn.

IMG_7828 - Copy

And we always have chicken breasts stocked in the freezer. 

Sounds like a Southwest night to me.  Here’s what I came up with for my Southwest Chicken and Pasta Skillet.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
  • Lawry’s Baja Chipotle Marinade
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes with chilies*
  • less than 1/2 pound pasta like wagon wheels or rotini, cooked al dente and drained
  • Monterey Jack cheese, if desired
  • Light sour cream, if desired

Place chicken pieces and  marinade in a large plastic zip bag for a least 1/2 hour.  In a large skillet, cook chicken with the marinade for 5-10 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. 

IMG_7827

Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water.  Cook for 5 minutes longer. Stir in corn, beans and pasta, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.  IMG_7830

Remove from heat, garnish with Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream and serve.

IMG_7832

*NOTE:  To dial down the spice, use regular diced tomatoes instead of Rotel.  I will probably do this next time.  My 6 year old ate this, but also drank an entire glass of water during his meal!  My husband, who loves spicy food, thought that the heat was just right.  You be the judge. 

So, if you’re looking for a a skillet pantry meal with a little kick, give this one a try. 

I’m linking this up to the Tasty Tuesday Party at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam AND Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace.

Check them both out for some yummy inspiration!

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Sab, you have the best recipes! I am going to try this! It looks yummy & my kids & hub will think I am amazing. I really like how you use things that are typically on hand ~it makes it so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks really good! We love Tex-Mex flavored dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great combination! I am constantly "winging" dinner and not writing down what I made. Good for you that you posted this so we can all make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that you could whip up such a great meal! It looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! This looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so yummy! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I have to admit- it's the wagon wheel pasta that really dragged me in. :) My family would definitely enjoy a meal like this. And doesn't it feel so good when you can whip up something tasty with what's on hand?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummo as Rachel Ray would say! Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks yummy and healthy. Great "winging it"

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome! I love all things southwest/tex/mex - YUM! that marinade ROCKS - it makes all things good! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a one dish meal that the whole family will love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came over from Jen's. This looks really yummy! Thanks. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a wonderful pasta dish with a great kick! Thanks for linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A new dish to try that is for sure! Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails