Sunday, May 2, 2010

Photo Transfer To Canvas Tutorial

Pin It Last week, I finished my first photo transfer using Mod Podge. Now, let me show you how I did it.
image
Step One: Choose And Print Photos
I used my inkjet printer to make 8x10 prints of my photos on regular printer/copy paper.
NOTE: Other tutorials, suggest photocopying your image. This creates a more durable image, which I may try out next time.
Step Two: Picking The Background Color
After our recent bedroom updates, I decided to pull in my green/blue accent color for this project. I painted 11x14 canvases with several coats craft paint. The color is a homemade mixture.
IMG_8498
Step Three: The Photo Transfer
After the paint had dried, I coated my photo (ink side) with Mod Podge and placed it on the canvas (Mod Podge side down). IMG_8505
To make sure I had good adhesion, I gently rubbed from the middle of the photo and then out to the corners. I also went over the paper with my rolling pin (still don’t have a brayer!) to remove any air bubbles. Then, I let this dry overnight.
Notice, you’ll see in the above photo that I did leave a few air bubbles and this did effect my transfer, so be forewarned!
Step Four: Removing The Paper
IMG_8548
Using a spray bottle, I lightly coated the dried paper with water. Then, I began rubbing the paper off. This step takes some time and a little patience.
IMG_8547
The above images were taken after one water/rubbing step. This step had to be repeated a few times to remove all traces of paper. As other bloggers have said, you will get a ghost like appearance to your image if paper is left on the canvas.
Step Five: Adding The Lyrics
IMG_8556
After removing all of the paper from my image, I printed out the lyrics to Forever Young that I had saved as a Word document.
The words have to be printed in reverse. In Microsoft Word 2007, you can do this by going to Print>Properties>Finishing tab. Once there, you click “Mirror Image” under “Orientation” and then go back and print.
Next, I transferred the words, let them dry and removed the paper using the same technique as above.
IMG_8562
Helpful Hint: The above IKEA kitchen utensil was pretty helpful when smoothing out the smaller transfer pieces.
Step Six: Finishing Up
Using water down gray craft paint, I added some age to the piece and wiped off excess paint to get the look I wanted. Then I added some homemade embellishments. (I’ll share how I made them soon!)
To seal it all up, I coated the entire piece with Mod Podge, let it dry, hung them up and admired my work.
IMG_8656
IMG_8648
I hope you enjoyed seeing how this project came together. It was so much fun learning a new craft and I look forward to tweaking the technique here and there to improve my result.
Of course, I’ll be sure to share the goods and more likely “bads” of my experimenting. :)
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments!

Linking this up to:
Make It Monday @ The Persimmon Perch
Meta Monday @ Between Naps On the Porch



Visit thecsiproject.comPin It

22 comments:

  1. this is awesome! i am really loving the way it turned out! glad you stopped by, im your new follower.
    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great project, esp with mother's day around the corner. I know my mother would LOVE to have more pictures of my kids all over her walls. Who wouldn't?

    The best part is, this is easy enough to do with my daughter. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I followed you over here from your comments on Junkin' Junky because Mel has great taste in the blogs she stalks. LOVE this tutorial. I'm going to have to try this with some of the children's baby pics for sure. I'm your newest follower, and I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great. I've been looking for a way to transfer photocopys to fabric. Any ideas?
    Thanks for sharing and it's nice to meet such a creative gal.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I'll be trying this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much there where a couple of questions on your first post i had but you answered them in this one. great tutorial. thanks again - i just went to a wedding and took some pics that i am gonna use and give as a gift.

    rossane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking forward to seeing this more detailed tutorial! Love this idea and appreciate you figuring it out and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. You were caught being creative! I've featured your wonderful project on my blog www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com. Thanks for the inspiration. Stop on by and grab a featured button and show off!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to let you know I tried this for my husband's Father's Day present and it worked great! I haven't posted it yet because I don't want him to see it, but I'm putting it up Monday. Thanks again for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to do this of my daughters picture. My oldest passed away 3 years ago when she was 19. I think this would be a lovely way to remember her. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your tutorial here after following link to link to link to link...you know how it goes! I've been trying this inkject-modpodge thing and I'm very frustrated. I cannot seem to get rid of the ghosty whiteness of the last layer of paper on the canvas. If I try to get more off, the ink comes off too. I also had a patch of the podge start to lift off. Aaauugghh! I rubbed carefully...I thought. Any ideas? Your pictures turned out so lovely, and I want the same! :)
    Any help you can give would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    Katie M.
    durhamgirl.vdm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article./Wow.. looking good!

    Canvas Prints From Photos

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just cam across this and i love it....i never heard of mod podge so when i looked it up there are lots of different types....which one did you use?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which type of mod podge did you use ???

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE this project! Do you know if it works just as well with color photos? Is it necessary to paint the canvas first, and do you does it work just as well with the store bought photos? I was wanting to make a few as gifts but didnt want drain my printer also wanted to makes some a little larger too :) Thanks so much, yours turned out beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great I LOVE this :) I just had a couple questions. Do you know if it works just as well with color photos? and what type of Mod Podge do you use. Can we use the store printed photos and if so do we use glossy or matte versions? I wanted to make a few of these as gifts and also for my own home but didnt want to drain my printer doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Newest follower! I had NO idea this could be done! Boy, have I been taking the hard way when adding words to canvas! OMG! So glad I found your blog through Pinterest. I'm going to be trying this tutorial asap! I'll make sure if I add to my blog at www.rockpaperscissorscreate.blogspot.com I link back to your awesome tutorial! Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing with everyone. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tutorial!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Superb idea! You just saved me alot of cash.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you distressed the pictures in a artful way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is neat. I like what you did to that picture. Nicely done.

    Wholesale Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails