Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tutorial: Master Bath Mirror Update

Pin It

image

Finally got around to the step by step for my big mirror redo!  Enjoy!

Step 1: Measure the mirror.  My mirror is pretty much covers the entire wall above the vanity.  So I decided to make my frame the exact size of the mirror, attaching it directly to the glass.  I also accounted for where the top piece of molding would be in relation to the light fixture.

Step 2:  Choose your molding.   Although I’ve never made a miter cut before, there has to be a first time for everything, right?  We went with primed MDF casing.  It came in 8 foot lengths, but I know it also comes in random lengths at some stores as well.  In that case, you can have the store cut it for you and you will have less waste.  I had to purchase (3) 8 foot pieces at about $6/each.

Presentation1 As mentioned in my previous post, I originally chose the same molding and corner pieces used in Rhoda’s transformation.  However, my mirror has an irritating piece of track at the bottom.  The regular door casing worked better for us because you have the ability to play with the angles a bit to account for the extra space that the track creates.  (I promise that this will make more sense while doing the project than when you’re reading it.)

Step 3:  Making the cuts.  MDF cuts very easily with a miter box.  It helps to draw out the frame on paper before making the cuts.  That way you know what angles you need to make for each side. IMG_8936

Step 4:  Painting the molding.  I chose Behr’s Dark Truffle, a deep brown color that compliments our wall color.  Since the color was so deep, I had to do two coats.

IMG_8943 Don’t forget to paint the back…you will see it in the reflection of the mirror once it’s attached.  Painting of fingers, however, is completely optional.

Step 5:  Attaching the mirror.  As suggested in other wonderful mirror redo’s (Rhoda and Maryann), I attempted to use a high heat hot glue gun.  However, in the end, I found it easier to use Clear Liquid Nails.  Using the hot glue was just too fast paced for me.  It began to dry before I could get it in place or I put it up so fast that I didn’t get it up straight. 

TIP:  If you need to remove any pieces of molding, take a long piece of dental floss and run it behind the molding. 

The Liquid Nails gave me a time to play with the placement a little.  However, I did use painters tape to keep the molding in place overnight while the glue completely set up. 

I applied a decent amount of the Liquid Nails to each piece of molding, being sure not to get too close to the inner edge.  It will reflect in the mirror and nobody wants to see your DIY magic revealed!!! ;) 

Step 6:  Touchups and DONE!  The next day I filled the small gaps on all four corners where the molding meets up with caulk.  Be sure to use the paintable caulk!!  After that dried, I touched up the caulked areas with my Behr paint and called it a day.

 IMG_0725

A BIG thanks to Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality, Maryann’s @ Domestically Speaking and Sausha @ {show & tell} .  These gals were wonderful at responding to my questions and have great tutorials on framing mirrors.  Please check out all three of their wonderful mirror redo projects!

Pin It

29 comments:

  1. You did a great job. This is on my list of things to do before summers end so I appreciate the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I'm dying to get mine done when I have 2 legs to stand on! thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your project looks great! i love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how this turned out! And how easy! What a great DIY to spruce up a bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the name of your wall color, I really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Becky! Its a great deep neutral that we used in our master bath and bedroom called Sanderling from Sherwin Williams. Here's the link.

    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/paint_colors/explore/color/SW7513_sanderling/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you posted this! I've had the trim in my garage for over a year to do this project and finding your site tonight has given me the extra push to get it done. I was afraid it would look bad, but seeing it actually done, I know it will be great! We are painting ours white to match the other doors in the room, but the color of your bathroom is almost identical to ours...great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you attach it to the mirror or the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The trim is attached to the mirror and overhangs a bit on the sides. All the of glue is on the mirror though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to do this but can't figure out what to do with the annoying clips at the top to hold the mirror in place?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got the clips all around all 4 sides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did anyone get around the clips?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wondering since I live in an apartment if you could use a light wood and attach to mirror with those new Velcro command strips?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too have the plastic clips around my mirrors! I wonder if the mirror is glued on to the wall as well?? I guess all that we can do is try to take the mirror off and see if it is glued to the wall or not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did you get around tje track at the bottom? Is there a gap between the mirror and the frame?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this post and all the little tips included. Sometimes it is the smallest things that mess up an entire project. Glad to know them in advance! Your projects look wonderful, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! I have 2 mirrors in my home that are begging for a make over! I'm a new GFC follower!

    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a question! I really want to do this, but do you have any idea what the process would be if you wanted to remove it later? I know my husband is going to ask, and I don't know. Would you ever be able to get the nail glue off the mirror or would it pretty much need to always be framed after that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! We have a mirror that doesn't go all the way up to the wall so you'll be able to see the edges. What would you suggest so you cannot see the outer edges of the mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does anyone know how to frame a mirror with small tile? I would love any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would you mind telling me where you got the tall metal shelves in your bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looked awesome in my bathroom. thanks for the idea & tutorial!! I did however remove the tape prematurely and the top piece slid down some & now you can see the squiggle line from the glue and the top of the mirror above the top trim. any suggestions on either fixing or covering up??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! My bathroom looks just like the before picture! I hope to get the after look.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a mom of two little mess makers who get toothpaste on the mirror on a regular basis, I would probably add a polyurethane top coat to protect the finish from the glass cleaning products.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Has anyone figured out how to get around the plastic clips?? I would love to do this project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did anyone figure out how to get around the plastic clips on the mirror? I would love to do this project, but dont know if it will work with the clips!

    ReplyDelete
  27. REGARDING PLASTIC CLIPS: I saw another tutorial where they bought metal washers and replaced the clips with them since they're nearly flat to the wall. They then glued the moulding right over them....

    http://www.somewhatsimple.com/how-to-frame-your-bathroom-mirror-over-plastic-clips/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for these instructions. I have bookmarked these instructions, along with others. I hope to replace my bathroom vanity/which probably is 1977 fiberboard that builder installed. So many projects to do and we are getting estimates and picking out tile for sunroom now, working our way to bathrooms. Have replaced the toilet, do not intend to replace the tub as it is in excellent condition. A friend of ours had somebody come in and spray paint his wall tile and bathtub and they did a fabulous job. Looks brand new. We are shower people but sometimes there is a need to soak in a tub so don't want to The floor can stand replacing too. Previous owner just put down some cheap sheet flooring with shoe molding when he put house on market 8 yrs. ago. Easy to keep clean or to clean up. Easier than tile to be honest. My question is there a way to remove the mirror from the without it breaking or tearing wallboard .

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails