Monday, July 26, 2010

A Down Home Visit – Fab Food & Cream Puff Recipe

Pin It

Last week, I made a short trip south to visit with my parents and a few friends.  A few days of fun and food with the people I love…in a place I still call home.

The bounties of my mom’s tomato garden.

IMG_1718

Took several of these babies home with me.  Even though she’s only a few hours south of here, the growing season is slightly different and the tomatoes are running wild there.

IMG_1707

My mom is a wonderful cook and aims to please anyone that comes to the table.

The night we arrived, she made enough food to feed the entire block.

Potato Salad!

IMG_1728

Yes, my mom makes the prettiest deviled eggs for a regular ol’ dinner.

IMG_1752

She was channeling Martha before Martha was Martha.

IMG_1749-1

Oh and there were Cream Puffs too!  One of my faves.

IMG_1722

Custard filled pastries covered in chocolate yumminess?  Heaven!

IMG_1735

She uses a recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book for the shells, but the filling and chocolate topping are all mom.  I’ve made these myself several times and they are much simpler to make than you would imagine…and usually a HUGE hit!

doodle

Cream Puffs

Shells (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup four
  • 4 eggs

In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball (see photo 1, above right). Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.  Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 400 oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. transfer cream puffs to a wire rack; cool.  Once completely cool, cut tops off each puff and fill each one with below custard.  Top with chocolate glaze (below) or sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve immediately.

Vanilla Filling

  • 2 packages Dream Whip mix (found in the Jello aisle)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 small boxes vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 3/4 milk

Using a hand mixer, beat Dream Whip and milk until stiff and set aside.  In a separate bowl, beat vanilla pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes, until thickened.  Fold into Dream Whip.  Keep refrigerated until you are ready to fill cream puffs.  ( use a pastry bag to fill them…a little less mess!)

Chocolate Glaze

  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar
  • HOT water

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add a pinch of salt and the cocoa.  Mix well.  Mix in powdered sugar.  Add HOT water by the tablespoon until mixture reaches a glazing consistency.   Add more sugar if too thin, add hot water if too thick.  Drizzle over each cream puff before serving.

doodle

Hope you enjoyed my culinary Tour de Mamaw!  Happy cooking!

Blessed with Grace

TastyTuesday200pix

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. OMG that shell recipe is one I used back in HS. I lost it some years back and haven't made cream puffs since. Thank you so much for posting, I'm going to make these again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! Actually all of the food looks amazing! I love, love, love deviled eggs, and cream puffs! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Following you from Tasty Tuesdays.

    http://ourhappyhomeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is one talented lady - making all those lovely dishes and growing those fantastic tomatoes! Great photographs - they are making my mouth water :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I've never seen a recipe for cream puffs like that :) I'll be excited to make them -- as fancy puffs like these are off limits for those of us with nut allergies, unless we make them ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love these and haven't made them in years. My friend makes them and does something different in turning down the oven and baking a little longer and they don't ever get soggy. I have asked her the secret but she hasn't revealed it yet. Your mom's filling and glaze look great, I copied it off. Come visit for my first giveaway, a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cream puffs look delish! And might actually be something I can make. So glad you linked up with tasty tuesdays today. Lovely photos as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha has nothing on your mom!

    These look yum! I just had eggs too :)

    And I LOVE tomatoes and always wanted to grow them, just don't have the space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures. I can almost taste those tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH gosh, Those creme puffs would be SO NICE right now, out of the patio with the laptop and a cup of coffee... alas...
    Thanks for the tour

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails