Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chicken Caprese Panini

Pin It

IMG_2190

Our tomato plants have been overly abundant this season and the ideas on how to enjoy the bounties of our garden are endless.

Of course, everyone LOVES a caprese salad, right? All the yummy flavors of summer.

Well, how about taking that salad, adding some chicken and making it into a panini? IMG_2186

I’ve tried similar ideas at a few lunch spots and knew this was something I could create at home. Especially with this big guy…

IMG_2183

A gift from the in-laws a few years back, comes in handy for panini night.

Caprese Panini

  • 1 lb. chicken breast (2 large), marinated in Italian dressing
  • 1 loaf Itailian bread, cut into thick slices
  • olive oil
  • 2 large tomatoes, sliced
  • fresh basil leaves
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded or, if using fresh, sliced

Preheat the grill pan to medium-high heat.

Slice chicken horizontally, to make 4 thin breasts from the 2 large ones. In a large skillet, cook marinated chicken in a few tablespoons of oil over medium high heat until cooked through. Cut cooked chicken into long slices, set aside.

For each sandwich, brush both sides of two pieces of bread. Layer chicken, tomato slices, basil leaves and then cheese on one pieces of bread. Top with second piece of bread and carefully place onto grill pan. Weight down top piece of bread, if possible. Grill until bread on bottom begins to toast, flip and toast the other side.

Once cheese melts, the panini is ready to serve and enjoy!

IMG_2191-1

Grill marks……love it.

I’ve made this with fresh mozz and its even more fan-tab-ulous. Not always something I have on hand though, so the shredded kind works great too.

Never made a panini before??? Well, I found a great blog, Panini Happy, that is a great source for all things panini.

Also, have you checked out Recipe Lion?  It’s such a great forum of foodies.  I participate in their Monthly Morsel Question.  This month…ice cream.  Another summer LOVE!  Check it out!

TastyTuesday200pixBlessed with Grace

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Ummm... YUM! And how easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...your sandwich looks terrific! So glad to hear you're enjoying my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay -that looks like something you get in a restaurant. Amazing. And I am sure it tastes better than it looks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shut up!!! That LOOKS SO FLIPPIN GOOD. No lie. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *DROOL* This is *FABULOUS*.. just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANKS so much ladies! It really is a pretty easy dinner to whip up and reminds me of the panini from Panera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! I'm in! We have an over abundance of tomatoes and basil....and I LOVE a good caprese salad! Make it into a chicken sandwich and I couldn't be happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a panini before but it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, that looks killer and easy.....my 2 favorite things!! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays, and that sandwich looks really yummy! I will definitely be trying that - caprese salad is my favorite summer meal! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Panini-izing a sandwich is the most incredible invention ever! This is a great combination and once again I am printing this off. I think I am using a whole ream of paper this week on Tasty Tuesday, but it is not my fault!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your panini looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for linkin up to Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what a great sandwich is all about! I can't wait to try this recipe out! Your pictures are great, they made me hungry LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yum. The flavor combination looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails