Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Facing Myself

Pin It

IMG_1648 (3)-3

My friend in self taught photography, Jess, from Old Nichols Farm is hosting a monthly “Facing Yourself” photography challenge.  Not my favorite subject, but it truly is a challenge.  Not just in the “it’s awkward to post a big ol’ pic of yourself sense either.  It’s actually quite challenging to get focused images of yourself. 

I’m still working on it…with a little wincing along the way.  The above shot was kind of just dumb luck…while using one of my son’s teddy bears as a stunt double for focusing! ;) (Thanks for that tip Jess!)  My hair is wavy…I am still not comfortable wearing it this way very often.  So that makes this a kind of double whammy on the facing my true self theme.

This one was taken using the old “camera at arms length technique”…highly technical.  It really is…when you have a 3 year old dancing around you saying, “take one of me now!”  SOOTC too.IMG_1526-5

And lastly…this one I featured a few posts back, but in B&W for You Capture.  Another SOOTC shot. 

IMG_1831-1

My reflection in a side mirror of my friend’s pickup.  Ugh…homesick again on that one.  :(

SO…any one out there up for this challenge??? Turn that camera around, don’t wince too much and snap away!

Facing Myself

Thanks, Jess, for your little self-portrait Tips and Tricks AND for making us all turn the camera on ourselves now and then.

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I like the wavy hair, it's very summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful... wavy hair or straight. This is a tricky challenge for me. I tried to get a self portrait the other day. Let's just say it didn't work out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of self-photography. When I go back each month to backup our photos, I'm always surprised that there are maybe 1 or 2 of me, max. My kids will probably never remember what I looked like when I was "young" since I'm always behind the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the wavy hair too, I think you look really stunning. I also rarely wear mine wavy, the other day my 5 year old walked into my bathroom after I had done a "wavy" do and he said (insert surprised voice)"mummy you look SO beautiful!" ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl, your pictures improve every single time you post. i love these shots! especially since every single self portrait i take of myself, i look and go "i don't look like that!" :)

    and can i just say if i had hair wavy and gorgeous like yours, i'd never straighten it. i'd kill for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for your compliments...especially about the "wave".

    Kelli - Aw, your kiddos are sweet! My boys are so not used to it wavy that they kind of stare for a little bit and then say "you pretty mommy". Doesn't that just feel so awesome?!?

    Sarah - The wavy thing turns into Medusa very easily. Ha! I can tame the straight stuff...the wave has a mind of its own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great focus on all three, Sabby. I love your wavy hair too. Your commentary on your second shot made me laugh. I was looking through some self-portraits on flickr, and some of my favorite ones were long exposures of the mom in focus with blurry kids circling like sharks! Now that is real life! The last one fascinates me because the blades on your lens are so visible.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat tip about the prop! If I didn't think I'd break my camera, I might try it. ;)

    I wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog to enter the Giveaway. Hope you'll come visit again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wavy hair, too. Straighten it almost every day. Except on high humidity days. Then it is pointless, am I right?

    Your self portraits are well focused and well composed. I likey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. You are a natural in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these shots, you look very natural. I did the 365 challenge on flickr last year and took self portrait every day for a year. It was hard, there were days I didn't look camera ready at all, but I really captured the good, the bad, and the ugly for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the bottom photo in the mirror of the pick up truck. :) Great job!
    http://nancycancerjourney.blogspot.com/2010/08/self-portrait-one-tough-chick.html

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I'm loving the wavy hair really I do! I think all three pics are great. I've always thought u were talented!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails