Monday, September 13, 2010

Cheesy Garlic Drop Biscuits

Pin It Yummy, cheesy goodness!
IMG_3697
We grilled some wonderful Mahi fillets the other night and I thought that biscuits would be great.  Of course, seafood and biscuits led me to the ones they make at Red Lobster.  Most of the copy cat recipes I found used Bisquick…something I don’t really like at all.
I received this great book at my bridal shower called The Big Book of Breakfast by Maryana Vollstedt.  Check it out if you’re into breakfast any time of day like we are! 
IMG_3701
The book contains many quick bread recipes including one for Bacon Cheese Drop Biscuits.  I left out the bacon (watching my figure…ha ha!) and added some garlic powder. 
Shoot!!!  Everything is better with bacon, right?  Maybe next time.
They turned out to be a great match to Red Lobster biscuits and are a great accompaniment to fish.
Cheesy Garlic Drop Biscuits
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 5 Tablespoons shortening, cut into small chunks
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and garlic powder.  Add shortening and cut it into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Add buttermilk and mix until dough holds together.  Fold in cheese. 
Drop heaping tablespoons of dough for each biscuit onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.   Serve immediately.

(Click for Printable Version)


IMG_3693
Watch carefully...a few of my biscuits were a little darker than I would have liked so keep an eye on them!
IMG_3703 
Hope you enjoy my version of a chain classic!
   

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying this one out! I love those biscuits from Red Lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so flippin hungry now. Seriously! Huuuuuunnnnnggggrrrrrryyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These sound so good. I've actually made a slightly different version. I'm excited to try yours. Thanks for linkin up to tasty tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look tasty :) I always wondered what the American "biscuit" was when reading it in books, and from the ingredients they kinda sound like "scones" to me. So that's two things I've learnt today about cultural translations (that and we call"crisp" "crumble").

    ReplyDelete
  5. These have not kidding you got my mouth salivating LOL! I am really going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a sucker for a good cheesy garlic biscuit. I was in that "chain" when they were testing them out, and giving them to you for free with your dinner. Gosh it is one addicting biscuit. You recipe looks absolutely salivating...If that makes any sense lol. Will be trying it out this week!

    Evelyn
    http://adventureofsuperspice.com
    http://evelynleon.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try these tomm for dinner. They look yummy!

    I found you on bloh hop.
    http://nicholesownspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’ve been featured! =) http://athomewithhaley.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipes-i-cant-wait-to-try-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. You’ve been featured! =) http://athomewithhaley.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipes-i-cant-wait-to-try-2.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails