Monday, September 6, 2010

Grilled “London Broil”: a two for one meal

Pin It I’m a big fan of inexpensive cuts of beef.  It seems like even ground beef hold a hefty price these days.  So, when I find a sizable, yet unfamiliar, piece of meat on sale at the grocery store, I grab it and hope for the best.
IMG_3119
One particular cut that I’ve run across is usually labeled “London Broil”.  A quick internet search and I learned that London Broil is actually a method of cooking and not a cut of meat.
IMG_3016
However, butchers sometimes label flank and top round steaks as “London Broil”.  Learn something new every day.  Thanks Google!
What I also learned is that this super inexpensive flank steak packs a lot of flavor if treated right.  Give your flank steak some love, people.  Basically, this is a very lean cut a meat, so it needs to be cooked over high heat and very quickly…otherwise it’ll be dry city.  bleh.
A few times a year, I find “London Broil” on sale at my local grocery store for $1.99/pound!!  One steak, which is kind of like a small roast really, feeds our family of 4 for two whole meals.  Gotta’ love that!
Besides being frugal, this is a really quick and simple meal to prepare with very little hands on time during the hectic din din hour.  It’s all in the marinade.
Marinated “London Broil” or Flank Steak
For a 1 1/2 to 2 pound London Broil or flank steak:
Marinade
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons thyme, crush before adding to marinade
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, crushed or minced
  • fresh ground black pepper
Horseradish Sauce
In a small bowl, mix together the following and refrigerate until ready to use:
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 3 Tablespoon prepared horseradish
  • 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
  • black pepper to taste
IMG_3020
Mix all marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  Place steak into gallon sized zipper bag and pour marinade into bag.  Marinate in refrigerator overnight.
IMG_3093
To grill, remove meat from bag and pat dry with paper towels.  Place on a plate and let it sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before grilling.  For a 1.5 inch steak, grill over direct heat for 5-7 minutes PER SIDE for medium rare.  With this lean of meat, you really don’t want to overcook it.  Place grilled steak on platter and loosely cover for at least 10 minutes to rest the meat.
 IMG_3106
To serve, make very thin slices, against the grain, and at a slight diagonal so that the slices are wide.  Serve immediately with horseradish sauce if using.
IMG_3122
IMG_3126
But WAIT!!!  There’s more!
Leftovers:  Refrigerate any leftover slices to use for a dinner salad or sandwiches the next day. 
IMG_3385
For the above sandwich, I warmed up several slices of the left over flank steak )medium heat in microwave) with slices of provolone on top of the meat.  Then, I placed the melted cheese/meat on a hoagie bun with caramelized red onion and a bit of the leftover horseradish sauce.  YUM!!!
Hope you enjoy trying out this two for one meal as much as we did!
Oh and did you enter my CSN Giveaway??? 
It’s a $75 gift certificate!!
 
 



 


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! Love that marinade recipe. I buy this cut of meat from time to time often use it to make K-bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I never made good London Broil (probably cooking it wrong)...but this looks like something I could do!! Thanks!

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! The sandwich looks really good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Gotta love google. This looks wonderful and love the photos. Thanks so much for linking up to tasty tuesdays today. And glad you liked Bright Eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! That looks delish! :)

    Thank you for sharing! :)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief, we must have been channeling eachother! I just found you on the Tasty Tuesday blog hop where I posted "Sliced Flank Steak on Garlic Bread with Horseradish Sauce". Yet another example of great minds thinking alike ;)

    Amy
    http://kitchencentsability.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy is what my husband would say. He is the red meat lover in our house. A little too red for me but I love your shots!

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record, my tummy is now GROWLING AT ME...
    It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good. Yum! I am getting super hungry looking at all of these hunks of meat today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummers!!!! Love it. Love beef. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. " London Broil is actually a method of cooking and not a cut of meat." ~ I just learned something new too! ~
    Looks amazing and delicious, great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is perfect! Love the grill marks and the pinkish color of the meat. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails