Monday, September 20, 2010

Side Table Redo

Pin It My dad and mom follow my blog.  Isn’t that cute?
After my end table redo for the lil’ bro, my dad told me that he had a few pieces in his basement.  Shopping for freebies in dad’s basement I went.
And I stumbled upon this little table…
IMG_3742
It had seen better days and was missing part of its leg.
IMG_3744
Or would that be its foot??  Dunno.
Either way, I found a little place in my DIY heart for it.
I started out with a little sanding and fixing the foot/leg thingy with Gorilla Glue.
IMG_3813
It’s not perfect, but it sturdy and it will be hidden on the side of my couch.  All good.
Next, I obviously used a whole LOT of Rustoleum’s Heirloom White spray paint.  Then, I distressed it a bit with fine grit sandpaper.
IMG_3816
After that, I wanted to add something fun to the top.
My first thought was just to use a colorful paper on part of it.   Using Mod Podge,  I added this cheery yellow paper to the center of the table top.
IMG_3861
Then I thought about where I wanted to use the table, which is in our family room near our mini “library”.  Derek and I are book hoarders. 
I sacrificed an old paperback copy of the original Wizard Of Oz.
IMG_3888
  Did you see that?  She actually cried about it.  Sorry Dorothy.
IMG_3891
Again, I used Mod Podge to attach the strips of book pages to both ends of the table top.  After it all dried, I lightly sanded the edges of the table to remove any excess paper and then applied two coats of Mod Podge over the entire top to seal it all in.
IMG_3862
And last, but not least, I sprayed the top with a few coats of clear acrylic since the table will be used for beverages now and then.  Mod Podge does NOT like HOT beverages.
IMG_3883
So what do you think?  Totally new life to a cute table or death of a great book?
side table

Show and Tell Green  



           

Visit thecsiproject.comPin It

17 comments:

  1. So creative! The book idea is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute!! I love the book with the paper, it looks so vintage and fun at the same time!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of the book pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the use of the books pages. Looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this recreation!!! I would have never thought to do anything like that. BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is fabulous! I have just about the same table and did just about the same thing:) I also enjoyed your photography...you are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog! You are very creative. This table is adorable.

    Megs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG..I just found the exact table at my local Salvation Army thrift store and didn't have a clue as to what to do with it. And here you are! My new discovery is you!! Love the table and the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable table! You made it look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shabby chic table. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I didn't know that modge podge is sensative to heat. I'm going to make a mod podge plate or tray for my niece. What do you think would help for the heat? Thanks, Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat - I sprayed both of my Mod Podge projects with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear in satin to protect them from water and heat. You could also do a few coats of poly to seal the deal. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this clever step by step DIY. I'll share it on Pinterest

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails