Monday, October 4, 2010

Italian Cheese Tortellini Soup

Pin It

IMG_4707

The weather has officially taken a turn here and I’ve been on the hunt for new soup recipes.  After seeing Amy’s recipe for Pesto Chicken Tortellini Soup on The Motherload blog, I had to try it out. 

Problem…I didn’t want to spend the money on the more expensive refrigerated pasta.  I thought I would give the frozen cheese kind a chance.

Here’s the recipe, tweaked a little here and there.  I used more garlic, less spinach and less chicken broth, but the results were still fantastic!  I love how it has all the Italian flavors we love in one pot, similar to my Meaty Minestrone recipe.

Italian Cheese Tortellini Soup (adapted from The Motherload blog)

(PRINTABLE VERSION)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 4 1/4 cups (1 lb) frozen cheese tortellini
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 5 ounces (give or take)fresh spinach, chopped roughly
  • 1/4 cup basil pesto
  • parmesan cheese, grated

In a large stock pot, sauté the garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the diced tomatoes, including juices, and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a rolling boil and then add the tortellini. Cook pasta as directed on package. Add spinach and and pesto during the last few minutes of cooking the pasta.  Garnish with parmesan cheese.

IMG_4710

Big THANKS to Amy for inspiring a new meal at our house!

   

 

 

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. That looks divine! We are heading into salad season in Australia - but I am definately going to give this a try. Yummo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness do I love soup and that looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tortellini, and it's definitely soup season at our house. I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up some cheese tortellini at Publix. Cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy idea for cooler days. Love that you used the frozen ones. Thanks for linkin up to tasty tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh... this soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so yummy! Will definitely be trying...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious and very frugal too!! :) So glad you found an adaptation that works for you and thank you for linking back to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i haven't seen frozen tortellini-- does it come in a bag and what brand did you find?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails