Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Our Christmas Feast: The Perfect Prime Rib

Pin It We hosted my side of the family for Christmas Day dinner this year.  I decided to buck our previous tradition of holiday ham and go BIG.
Prime Rib Roast BIG!
IMG_9642
Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roasts can be pretty pricey, especially if you’re feeding a carnivorous group like mine.  After keeping a close eye on all of the grocery store ads, I purchased mine for $4.99/lb at our local Dominicks the week of Christmas.  That is a TOTAL steal folks.  Lesson:  Be patient and score BIG holiday meat deals.
This was my first time wrestling one of these expensively large roasts.  I was pretty nervous.  Mess this up and we were likely to end up at a local Chinese joint eating Peking Duck.


I spent some time researching the best plan of attack for prime rib and decided to go with a mixture of Martha and Paula.
Prime Rib Roast with Garlic-Mustard Rub (printable)

  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons grainy mustard
  • Course salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 6-8 lb Prime Rib Roast or Standing Rib Roast
  1. Place all ingredients up to the meat into a small food processer.IMG_9644  Blend until mixture becomes a slightly chunky paste. 
  2. Rub over the fat and cut surfaces of the roast.  Lightly cover and place into the refrigerator overnight.IMG_9646
  3. Remove roast from refrigerator at least 1 hour before roasting. 
  4. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. IMG_9716
  5. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. (VERY important!) About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.IMG_9733
  6. After reheating, remove roast and let stand for at least 15 minutes before carving.  Serve with Horseradish Sauce, if desired.
    Horseradish Sauce In a small bowl, mix together the following and refrigerate until ready to use:
    • 1/3 cup sour cream
    • 3 Tablespoon prepared horseradish
    • 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
    • Dash of lemon juice
    • black pepper to taste
IMG_9735
I was completely proud at how this turned out…yes, I’m tooting my own horn. 
As many of the reviewers of Paula Dean’s recipe stated, it just seemed too simple to work and too scary to try out with such a great chunk of meat.  However, it worked out perfectly.  Foolproof. 
Just enough medium cooked pieces for my mom and dad and lots of medium rare in the center.  Definitely something I’ll try again for a special occasion in the future.  A new holiday tradition perhaps?
Edited to Add:
My mother-in-law just sent me an e-mail regarding bone-in vs. boneless rib roasts.  Good question, Grandma Bob!
So, I bought a Bone-In roast from Dominicks. Luckily I was right near the butcher counter and they asked if I needed help while I was looking at the prepackaged roasts.  They explained that they could find one for me at the exact weight I needed and helped me figure out how many pounds per person.  Then the one butcher said that he could cut the meat off the bone for me and then tie them back on.  FAB huh?  The bone adds flavor to the roast.
I suggest you buy the bone in and have the butcher do that for you too.  It was free.  Sometimes I miss the old days of actually talking to a butcher like that.  When I was growing up we talked to the butcher about all kinds of things and they are so helpful.  Our society has gotten so used to buying meat in plastic!   



Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Your roast looks AMAZING!! So glad it turned out good for you. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out GORGEOUS!! Our almost 18 year old son did our Prime Rib this year and did a fantastic job...even made Yorkshire Pudding. I need to get those photos posted :)

    New Year's Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW does that sound and LOOK delish!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that is food art. No question about it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails