Monday, February 28, 2011

Salmon Patties with Egg Sauce & Roasted Potatoes

Pin It

IMG_0429

My mom made salmon patties all the time when we were little.  On the side, she would serve fried new potatoes and the patties were dressed with an egg sauce. 

This meal takes me back.  I’m also given the “huh?” face from those I serve it to, mostly because of the egg sauce.  I’ve made it to many people over the years, from Miami to Baton Rouge, and the egg sauce raises an eyebrow.  Hard boiled eggs in a basic b├ęchamel sauce.  I guess that does sound a little off.

Either way, its a yummy break from the norm, relatively inexpensive and we all could use a good dose of Omega-3’s and Vitamin D.

IMG_0423

I’ve tweaked the way my mom prepares this meal in a few ways.  Her patties were a little less seasoned and she used Ritz crackers.  She also fried them in straight up butter, so that made up for lack of seasonings.  I’ve also decided to bake my potatoes instead of frying them, but they taste pretty similar.  Sorry mom…I have a waistline I’m fighting with here!

Salmon Patties (printable)

  • 1 can pink salmon, drained (remove bones if you like but they are edible and add calcium)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
  • 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
  • pepper to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 Tablespoons cooking oil (I used Canola)

Mix all ingredients minus the butter and oil in a bowl.  (Hands work best here!)  Shape into 6-8 small patties. 

IMG_0404

Melt butter and add oil to a large skillet.  Fry patties over medium high heat until golden brown and flip once. 

IMG_0406

Place on plate with paper towel to soak up an excess oil. 

IMG_0422

Serve with Egg Sauce.

IMG_0409

Egg Sauce

  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 hard-cooked boiled, chopped

Melt butter in small sauce pan.  Add flour and cook with stirring on low for 2 minutes.  Don’t let the butter brown.  Wisk in salt, pepper, milk.  Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and add the hard boiled eggs.  Cook over medium low heat until sauce thickens.  Serve immediately over patties.

IMG_0428

Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut desired number of potatoes into quarters and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.  Toss with enough olive oil to get them wet with the oil on all sides.  Sprinkle with garlic power, coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper.  Toss to coat on all sides.  Roast uncovered for ~40 minutes, turning once half way through roasting.  Potatoes are ready when the cut sides are dark golden brown and fork tender.

IMG_0424

Again, one of my favorite childhood meals, slightly altered and enjoyed by my own little family these days. 

IMG_0432

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I want to try the salmon patties...we love salmon around here. Just wondering what size can of salmon you use. (I have 2 different sizes in my cupboard as we speak.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great site you have!! Great photos :)

    Wanted to invite you to share this awesome recipe at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays as it fits the theme !

    Happy Sunday!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blog with great photos and this nice salmon patty recipe! Now following you and hope you stop by to follow back if you like; I also invite you to my weekend blog hop for food, decor, photography and more! Roz at La Bella Vita

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails