Monday, February 14, 2011

Showering My Best Friend: the baby shower food

Pin It IMG_9848
I thought I’d share a few of the recipes we used for the baby shower I recently hosted for my best bud, Sarah and the soon to be “Baby J”.  No they’re not naming him “J”, but they’re also not sharing the name.  I’m dying to know.  DYING…Sarah are you reading this???  errrrrrrrrr.   grumble grumble. 
Okay, okay….the food.  Yes, the food.  It was wonderful if I do say so myself…and I do.  We had the sandwiches catered so that we could focus on making the rest of the meal super yummy.
IMG_9872
Fill up my cup…
We started by making this throw back of a punch from Paula Deen.  Lisa and I agreed that it was something we remembered from the gatherings at home and church in our childhood.  Always a hit then, still one now.  Paula’s recipe seemed to be very similar to what I remember.
Lime Sherbet Punch (from Paula Deen, foodnetwork.com)

Ingredients

  • 2 quarts lime sherbet
  • 2 liters ginger ale
  • 1 (46-ounce) can pineapple juice
  • Lemon slices
  • Lime slices
  • Maraschino cherries

Directions

In a punch bowl, add 2 quarts of lime sherbet. Then add ginger ale and pineapple juice. Decorate with lemon and lime slices and some maraschino cherries.
I also floated an ice mold in the punch to keep it super cold throughout the party.  I made it by mixing a little water, orange juice and lemon juice in a Bundt pan.  Then I added lemon and lime slices, as well as a few maraschino cherries and put the pan in the freezer overnight.  The next day after making the punch, I simply ran a little warm water over the bottom of the pan and popped it out into the punch bowl.  Bo-tee-fullll!
An sassy side…
As a side dish, we served one my favorites, Chinese Cole Slaw.  Of course, in the hustle and bustle of the day, I neglected to get a picture of the dish.  AGH!   It’s actually kind of pretty too.  Bad bad blogger.  Anyway, here’s the recipe for this yummy side.
Chinese Cole Slaw
  • 1/4 cup sesame seed, toasted
  • 1/4 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
  • 1 bag shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw mix (I used a mixture of the two)
  • 4 -5 green onions, sliced, mostly the white and a little of the green part
  • 1/3 cup sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 package ramen noodles, chicken flavor, uncooked noodles broken up
In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning.  Remove the skillet from the heat when you see the seeds have turned a light brown color and have a pleasant nutty aroma, about 3-5 minutes.  Use the same technique to toast the almonds.  Set aside to cool.
Combine slaw mix and green onions.  Add the almonds and sesame seeds.  Make the dressing by mixing the oil, vinegar, sugar and ramen flavor packet in a small bowl.  Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and mix in the broken uncooked ramen noodles. 


An end to a Sa-WEET day!
To end day on a sweet note, my mom and I made these fun monkey cupcakes.
IMG_9850
I know.  Cuter than cute, right?  I got the idea after Googling “Monkey Baby Shower” and stumbling upon this great idea for sock monkey cupcakes
IMG_9847-1
To make these adorable treats, we made chocolate cupcakes and then iced them with chocolate icing.  While the icing was still moist, we inserted mini-Nilla wafers that had been cut in half for the ears.  For the mouth/chin area, we used 3/4 of a regular Nilla wafers.  Then we drew on the eyes and mouth with black and red icing.  Super easy to do and the result is both tasty and decorative.
As another fun idea, I think it would be really great to use my banana cupcake recipe with maybe a chocolate cream cheese frosting.  Of course,  I thought of this AFTER the shower. 
So there you have it…one Monkey filled baby boy shower for my best buddy, Sarah.  I can’t WAIT to meet the real live monkey that is currently still residing in his mommy’s toasty belly…overdue by almost a week now!!!  Lil’ stinker already.


 
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Adorable monkey cupcakes. I bet those were a big hit. For some reason, punch is always a hit at parties too isn't it? I think because it's something we never have on a daily basis, yet everyone has fond memories of it since it's served during fun times. Thanks for sharing your party ideas....and I hope Baby J comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Tasty Tuesday ... these monkey cupcakes are such a cute idea! Must keep that in mind for my grandkids ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These monkey cupcakes are adorable! I'm sharing this post with my daughters-in-law, both of whom are avid cupcake bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh too cute! I saved the Monkey's to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those monkeys are adorable and the shower sounds amazing what a lovely friend you must be to your best friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you they turned out so cute, not as cute as yours but was cute :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails