Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cuban Style Panini

Pin It

IMG_9844

A traditional Cuban sandwich was one of the local favorites I fell in love with while living in Miami.  It’s kind of like a hot ham and Swiss and I’m a huge fan of anything that involves melted cheese.  The classic preparation involves sliced roasted pork, something most of us usually won’t have on hand in our kitchens.  My version omits the pork (if you’re Cuban and reading this please don’t scold me!) and came from a need to use leftover Ham from a large family meal. 

Cuban bread is a simple white bread, similar to French or Italian bread and comes in long baguettes.  I used some Italian rolls that I had from Italian beef sandwich night. That bread, along with my cast iron griddle (remember I introduced you last year), some ham, Swiss cheese and pickles, made for a yummy dinner that reminded me of fun days in Miami.  It’s simple fare, but delish. 

IMG_9845

Cuban Style Panini

  • Ham, sliced not shaved
  • Swiss cheese
  • Dill pickle rounds, like stackers
  • Mustard
  • Bread, either Italian or French, about 6-8 inch long portions

Preheat griddle pan or panini press.  Slice portions of bread in half lengthwise, then lightly butter both sides of the bread.  Layer on side of the bread with ham, then Swiss cheese, pickles and finally mustard.  Place the other side of the bread on top.  Place assembled sandwich onto the griddle pan, pressing it together with something weighted or use your panini press.  Flip sandwich once is using the griddle.  Sandwich is done when both sides are crisp and toasted.  Cut sandwich at an angle and serve immediately.

blog end

Here’s what my griddle and weight set up looks like, but the sandwich in the pic is the caprese panini

IMG_2183

  I found this one on Amazon, but the press is sold separately.  They are pretty much the exact ones we have and got great reviews.

I’ve seen Alton Brown use a grill pan and a brick in a similar fashion.  Wing it and enjoy some toasty melty cheesy porky goodness yourself!  oink.  Oh…and if you happen to have some roasted pork tenderloin laying around, by all means add it on!

  

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Looks so delish! I had one of these, minus the pickles, at the cuban airport. So simple but sooo good!
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I have no idea why we don't have a Panini maker. We love them so much. My sister has one and I swear they use theirs like twice a week.

    I've never seen this way done wow. My husband would love to do it this way. Great easy recipe!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy Sabby! I have a panini maker, so I have no excuse but to try those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a sucker for a Cuban. I inevitably order it every time I see it on the menu. Gonna try and make my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I'll have to give this a try! I love cuban sandwiches. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby loves cubans! I might have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so tasty! I love the looks of that sandwich weight... seems incredibly handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so awesome. I need a panini press!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cubans are one of my very favorite sandwiches! something about those tart pickles with the mustard! so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so crunchy :)

    I would like to invite you to join in on a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY on my blog:

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

    "Made it on Monday" You can link up every WED.-SAT. :)

    I hope to see some of your recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a Puerto Rican with some Cuban heritage you had me at ham!! LOL..you did justice for the beloved Cuban Sandwich!! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!!! Amazing. I'm your newest follower. I can't wait to return.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails