Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Skillet Chicken Parmesan

Pin It IMG_9840
Here’s a version of a classic dish that I’ve tried to make slightly healthier by omitting the breaded and fried chicken.  To purists, this may not fit the bill, but for me and the hubs the flavors hit the spot.  And again, that melty cheese thing…YUM!
Skillet Chicken Parmesan (printable)
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (a little over 1 lb. total)
  • Italian seasoning
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Marinara sauce, 3-4 cups or one jar (I made it from scratch, but have used a jarred in the past as well)
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 lb. thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Sprinkle both sides of each chicken breast with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  Cover and place back in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat.  Cook chicken breast in skillet for 10 minutes, turning once, until brown on both sides.
 IMG_9833
Move chicken to a plate.  Pour marinara into the skillet and warm over medium heat.  Add chicken breasts back to the sauce, turning to coat on both sides.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 more minutes.
IMG_9835
Remove lid and sprinkle each chicken breast with the shredded cheese.  Replace lid and let cheese melt.
IMG_9837
Serve immediately over prepared spaghetti.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
IMG_9838
As I always mention, you can make this recipe and many others even healthier by using reduced fat cheese and whole wheat pasta.  Actually, one of the reasons I make my marinara from scratch is that I can control what goes in it.  I hope to post my marinara recipe soon.
Quick, simple and middle of the week dinner worthy.  Add a little bread, a veg to the side and you’re set!
blog end   
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. What a creative way to get the flavor without all the extra calories from breading and frying! I've got this one bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. Restaurant quality!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - This looks delicious. Looking forward to seeing what's in your homemade marinara sauce.

    Thanks for linking up!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a small world isn't it! I love her! Thanks for being random, I love that :)
    Ok, I guess I better go eat breakfast because I'm drooling all over my keyboard because of your yummy dish! And yes post your marina recipe, I'd love that!


    Megan

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails