Monday, May 30, 2011

English Muffin & Ham Breakfast Strata

Pin It A few years ago, my BFF Sarah had us over for brunch and she made this awesome strata. I was surprised to find out that it had English muffins in it.
IMG_2480
Fast forward to this past Christmas, when my family came to stay from out of town.  I was looking for an easy breakfast dish and remembered Sarah’s dish.  I found Martha’s version, tweaked it a bit and the result was wonderful!
Stratas are basically breakfast casseroles that have some sort of bread in them…kind of like a savory bread pudding.   They are super convenient for the hostess since you can let them sit overnight and bake them off in the morning.  The result is fluffy and delicious.  A simple, yet satisfying dish that can be made with any variety of add-ins.
IMG_2503
Last Sunday, I hosted a little WOWN shower at my house. My WOWN buds are so great! They each brought a dish to the party and I provided mimosas and a main dish.  To keep my stress level low (or at a least a little lower than my usual spastic self), I decided to make this wonderful strata again.  Ham, eggs & cheese…my favorite breakfast combo!
English Muffin & Ham Breakfast Strata (adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe)
  • Cooking Spray
  • English Muffins
  • 1/2 lb. sliced ham, or Canadian bacon, cut into halves
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Prepare 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In dish, alternately arrange muffin halves and meat, overlapping slightly.
IMG_2482
Sprinkle with cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, sour cream and pepper until combined. Pour over muffin, ham and cheese layers.  Cover entire dish tightly with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata, uncovered, until puffed and set in the center, approximately 60-80 minutes.  If strata begins to brown before puffing up, cover loosely with foil to prevent burning.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
IMG_2501
The ladies seemed to love the strata and I even enjoyed some leftovers the next day.  Definitely on my “make again” list.

blog-end_thumb1
   
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Strata was always served at our special holiday brunches as a kid. I love it. I hadn't ever heard of making it with english muffins, but your take on it looks fantastic. I wanted to invite you over to show off your strata at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight tomorrow (Wednesday) Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. It's like you actually WANT to make me cry! So, so left out. So, so sad... If I get drunk on wine tonight, it's on YOUR HEAD my dear.

    So, thanks for that, I guess? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much milk? Not in recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this on Pinterest and just guessed 2 cups of milk? The Martha Stewart recipe this was adapted from used 3 cups though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I furiously started scouring the web looking for how much milk would be in this.. I was putting it altogether when I realized this doesn't say how much milk. I guessed at 2 cups..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently made this while my mother in law was in town and it was a hit! We all devoured it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be using 2 cups of milk and will bring it to a brunch baby shower on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails