Saturday, May 7, 2011

It’s Strawberry Time: Strawberry Angel Food Trifle

Pin It

IMG_1897

Spring is here and that means all sorts of strawberry concoctions at our house.  My mom and Aunt Christy have made this Strawberry Angel Food Trifle since I was a little kid.  However, I was the sort of kid that liked those cafeteria style plates with separate little sections.  NOTHING could touch!  So, there “beautiful” looked really awful to me. 

See all of that touching????  IMG_1900

Finally, last year…yes, it took me 30 years to come around to trying this thing out.  For shame.  So I tried. it.  AND LOVED IT!  Boy, was I missing out. 

Not only that, this trifle is a snap to put together for any occasion.  Perfect for holidays and parties…and funerals apparently.  According to my mom, this was/is Aunt Christy’s “funeral dish”.  Hate me for laughing but I about died (no pun) when that was my mom’s response to “What should I call this on the blog?”.  Then she quickly added, “Oh no.  Don’t put that on the blog!”. Of course, I’m putting it on here because that makes the story of this dish even sweeter. 

So…funeral dish.  Everybody has one.  Nuf said.

On to the recipe.  This is yet another one of those wing it kind of recipes.  Use what you like, what you have, etc.  Here’s what my mom and I did for Easter a few weeks ago and this is her basic preparation for the dessert.

Strawberry Angel Food Trifle (printable)

  • (1) store-bought angel food cake
  • 24 oz. container frozen strawberries, sliced with sugar added, thawed
  • 24 oz. or 3 cups vanilla pudding (We used 6+ small individual cups this time)
  • 16 oz. container of whipped cream, slightly less than the whole container
  • Fresh strawberries for garnish

IMG_1884

Tear angel food cake into medium pieces. 

IMG_1894

Begin layering cake, strawberries, pudding and whip cream in a large clear glass bowl. 

IMG_1891

Continue irregular layers, filling the bowl. 

IMG_1892

Top entire dessert with a solid layer of whip cream.  Slice a few fresh strawberries for garnish. 

IMG_1902

Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours before serving. 

IMG_1899

To me it tastes like all the flavors of strawberry shortcake in one big yummy bite!  I think it would be GREAT to add blueberries to this mix too.  Or nanners.  Maybe kiwi?  However, I’ll first need to find a purty bowl like mom’s.  Hint hint.

Happy Mother’s Day!  Love you Mom!

IMG_2026-1

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL day!
blog-end_thumb1   

Pin It

36 comments:

  1. Ooo, this looks absolutely heavenly! Happy Mother's Day :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love angel food cake and strawberries. I am will be making this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That trifle looks heavenly!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sabby,
    Your Trifle looks awesome, I can almost taste it. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha….I can't have my food touch either (glad I am not alone)! But this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and PERFECT for this hot week we have been having. It is WAY to hot to bake! :)

    This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made this many times but use only fresh strawberries and bananas and banana pudding instead of vanilla. I've also added blueberries when making it for the 4th of July! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm making this for a party I am having tomorrow and I was just thinking about adding bananas to it, so I am going to.. and I wish I had a purdy bowl too..oh well... whats more important, the bowl or whats in it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have made a similar dish in our family for years. All we did was make a layer of the angel food cake, a layer of pie filling and a layer of cream cheese and whipping cream, whipped together. Seriously good! Since a beautiful bowl is being discussed, I thought I'd mention this way since it has gone into a tupperware square that doesn't even show it off. I must tell you...that tupperware kept it fresh, too! By the way, my family's dish is best when allowed to chill together for a few hours. I assume the one here will benefit the same way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow it looks wonderful and I think the bowl makes the whole thing picture perfect. Treasure your time with your mom and cooking with her will always be in your memories I know mine are my sweetest with my mom. I have a web site with a collection of her treasured recipes that is close to my heart. www.smalltownkitchen.com Happy Mothers Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this last night, and it will melt in Your mouth.....sooooo good....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made it for tomorrows
    Mothers Day brunch!! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ill take the bowl where did you find that???

    ReplyDelete
  16. How about for Christmas dinner? I'm going to use a small punch bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make a similar dessert. except I use fresh strawberries and instead of vanilla pudding, I use banana pudding and slice fresh bananas in it too. Its always a hit no matter where i bring it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't want to wait for spring to make and polish off this awesome dessert
    ( just need to wait till there are guests so I don't eat it all myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We make this in our family too but make strawberry jello and add the frozen strawberries to that then scoop into the bowl when it is set. This our baby shower dish as opposed to the funeral dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My version used semi-jelled strawberry jello instead of pudding and then fold everything together. I'm going to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thia looks great! I tried to pin it 3 or 4 times, but no image shows. Pinterest won't let me pin it without an image. Please put this on Pinterest. I am following you now, and I want to pin it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. rmcrm5, that is how my Mom made hers, even had it for my wedding shower in 1973

    ReplyDelete
  23. rmcrm5, that is how my Mom made hers! so good

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom makes a similar desert with Angel food cake sliced in layers and maraschino Cherries,pineapple, vanilla pudding, and cool whip placed between each layer..it is our Christmas cake with red and green sprinkles on top...yummy! I think I will try this version with the strawberries for Easter...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. lookes good but i choke on pudding do we have to use it or is there something else to use

    ReplyDelete
  26. My version uses jello AND pudding: 1 sm box sugar-free strawberry jello, 1 sm box sugar-free instant pudding mix, 16 oz. bag of frozen strawberries (no sugar added) or fresh, 1 angel food cake, and 12 oz. of fat-free Cool Whip. Bite-sized pieces of cake are put into trifle bowl. Prepare jello and pour over cake. Prepare the pudding and spread over jello-soaked cake. Spread semi-thawed cool whip over top followed by strawberries. I often prepare mine in a 9x13 pan for a large group, cutting the strawberries for enough pieces to cover the top. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. :) Janet

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do a variation of this dessert and it's a big hit in my house....I mix the cake with the 1/2 of the cool whip...then I layer it with chocolate pudding instead of vanilla...layer with the other 1/2 cool whip and top it with crushed crispy crunch bar(or your fav bar)....Delicious...Hope you try this...

    ReplyDelete
  28. shabby ..when useing the strawberries do you strain the juice or mix it in as well,also does it have to be whip cream or can I use cool whip ?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made 2 of these for Easter dinner. They were both raved over, one was made with strawberries, the other fieldberries. Problem is I have half of each left. Can I freeze them? Do they freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made this today for a church meeting tomorrow.
    It looks juxt like the pic (beautiful).

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so yummy I Live in MD. so our strawberries don't come in till end of May, but I have some frozen from last yr. & I am going to defrost as I write this. May I say happy Mothers day also to your Mother. I lost mine at a very young age so I Love to see the closeness between Mothers & daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sadly this has been stolen and is on Facebook now - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201112651725044&set=a.10200953915956749.1073741826.1431601527&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your recipe has been stolen and is being posted...along with your pics. You should report it: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200553154564779&set=a.1077534732028.2014125.1036045651&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was a big hit with my family. They just couldn't get enough. Hope to see more of your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks delicious and I'm trying it soon! BTW, your bowl is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails