Saturday, July 30, 2011

Art On The Cheap: A Guest Bedroom Update

Pin It I happened upon this great copy cat art project on Two Girls Being Crafty. Tristin was inspired by this piece from World Market…
image
…that sells for around $100!  I thought I’d give it a whirl myself and ended up with this pair of canvases.
IMG_4655
It’s definitely different than the copy cat piece and the original, but I love how they turned out.  Best of all, the technique is simple, quick and easily adapted to fit the colors of your space. 
I took two 16x20 canvases and spray painted them Heirloom White.  One was actually an  “OOPS” canvas from a few projects ago.  Spray paint is your friend!
I got out a bunch of my acrylic paints and started mixing and matching them on these lovely artist palettes…errr…brown paper bags.
IMG_4361
Then I started to draw the branches with brown paint and a thin brush.  Tristin used a paint pen, which would have been helpful.  Either way works, of course.
IMG_4357
Next, I just started adding circles, here, there and everywhere in different sizes and colors until I was happy with the look.IMG_4358
At first, I thought I wanted to put these in the family room, but they just didn’t work there.  Too small for that big space.  Today, I tried to put them in the guest bedroom and I’m liking it much better there.
IMG_4658
Of course, they’re just propped up for now, but I’m trying to get a sense if I like them there or not.  I can’t decide if I like the bright POPS of color.  Maybe I should do a watered down wash of acrylic paint to either slightly darken them or lighten them.   The original from WM has a dirty/aged quality that I kind of like, but I’m not sure if it would really go in this room. Thoughts?
So, that’s my latest adventure in homemade art on the cheap.  Thanks to Tristin from Two Girls Being Crafty for the inspiration! 
I’m linking this post up to the below parties!  Check them out for some fabulous inspiration!


handmade projectsShow and Tell GreenCreativeShareWednesdays Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special  The DIY Show Off  UndertheTableandDreaming

 
 
 
 

Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Oooh! I want to do this with scrapbook papers or paint color chips and different size craft circle punches. Perfect idea for my big, blank bedroom wall. Well done! I'll give you credit when I blog about this :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You artwork looks terrific and it's so much better than paying $100!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, the amount will increase the Gift Card to $100.
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I am soooo doing this (will definetly give you all credit) but I'm thinking various colors and sizes of buttons would add another cool dimension to the overall look.
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!
    Hope you stop by:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your paintings! Actually, yours is prettier than your inspiration one! Sounds simple to do but pack a million dollar whallop! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! I love paint chip art like this - so fun and creative!

    Also, I finally got the Followers stuff to load so I am now your newest follower - if your stats show some creeper reloading 12 times, that's me and I'm sorry! For some reason, it just wouldn't show up... grrr! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Great way to save more than $75!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I dared try this, because I Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! What a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!! What an awesome look, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful. More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your guest bedroom decor. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful!!! I love it!! Adding it to my have to do list ;)))

    We host a linky party “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday. This would be a perfect link up! Please feel free to add it :) We appreciate it! Thanks for sharing!

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the bright pop! and I have that same canvas pinned to my future home decor pinboard haha. I think it's so cute. I love how yours looks on two canvases!

    PS- I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/08/your-whims-wednesday-18-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure your guests will love it. I'd love for you to link this to my first ever linky party. http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/08/linky-party-1.html -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  14. new follower from linky party! i am working on a version of this with canvas! But, I love yours more!! now following..

    laura
    http://imnotatrophywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just featured your Diy wall art...love it!

    Jane
    Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love your version to!! So many possibilities with diff. colors! Thanks for dropping by!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails