Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fun Summer Treat –Ice cream Layered Pound Cake

Pin It IMG_5174

I LOVE ice cream.  It’s truly my favorite dessert item…especially really good vanilla bean ice cream.  One of my other favorite desserts is pound cake.  Now I’ve tried to make pound cake from scratch, but (don’t laugh) I feel like the folks over at Sara Lee have the pound cake thing down to a yummy science. 

So, here's an end of the summer dessert that's sure to please.  Vanilla bean ice cream and pound cake?  Heaven….just add your favorite berries and work FAST!

IMG_5104

Here’s what I did for a ‘hood BBQ a few weeks ago.  It was a hit and a simple dish to pass that you can whip up in no time.  Just make sure your hosts have room in the freezer!


Ice Cream Layered Pound Cake
  • 1 family sized Sara Lee Pound cake
  • 1.5 quarts vanilla bean ice cream, slightly softened (I used Edy’s Slow Churned…SO good!)
  • 1 to 2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
IMG_5111

In a bowl, sprinkle sugar over strawberries.  Stir until coated and set aside.  Cut pound cake (right out of the freezer) into horizontal thirds. 
IMG_5116

Lay bottom layer on serving dish.  Spread a layer of ice cream on pound cake and top with a single layer of strawberries. 
IMG_5120

Place middle layer on top.  Repeat the layer of ice cream and strawberries.  Place the top layer of pound cake on top. 
IMG_5126

Place entire serving dish and remaining ice cream into the freezer for an hour.   Use remaining ice cream to “icing” the entire outside of the layered cake. Work quickly!
IMG_5136

Place in the freezer again.  After ice cream has hardened, wrap in plastic wrap.  Must be frozen for at least 4 hours.  Place ice cream cake at room temperature for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. 
IMG_5175

The only thing I might change when I make this recipe again is the strawberries.  Since they were fresh strawberries, they froze up and the texture was slightly off. I was kind of in a hard situation…wait until the berries soften a little or will the ice cream melt by then?  It worked out and no one complained.  In the future, I might try mashing the berries and mixing them with some strawberry jam.  Not sure.  Have any of you ever tried something like this?  Berry issues?  I’d love to hear from you.

blog-end_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1
   
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Even though I have made tasty pound cake, I agree, Sara Lee makes a great pound cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks simple and tasty! I love ice cream cake and we cannot get them because we have to avoid most bakeries (due to food allergies). I will have to check out the label on the Sara Lee cake. Looks great!

    Check out: My Tasty Tuesday Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks amazing! Join in on the fun and come over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow to share this tasty recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sliced berries but it might work out better mashed. You could even mix your berries and ice cream together for your layers and then straight ice cream frosting. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! That looks so good! :)

    Stopping by from Tasty Tues

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the one im making for my stepsons birthday tonight. thanks for a great and easy idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails