Monday, August 8, 2011

Homemade Hummus

Pin It IMG_4758
Why make homemade hummus you ask?  Well, at first it was because I had a craving to eat hummus, yet no craving to go out to the store for it.  From now on, my reasoning will be be that it is SO DARN FREAKIN’ GOOD?  How did I not know this already? 
I came home, wanted some hummus.  Didn’t have any.  Quick search here and there. This is the recipe I slapped together in less than 15 minutes.  And it worked!  True hummus includes tahini, a sesame paste.  I didn’t have that one hand, but did happen to have sesame oil.  So, I substituted some olive oil for the sesame oil.  You do what you can/like.
IMG_4755
Homemade Hummus
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil (or sesame oil)
Blend all of the above ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Add extra lemon juice to reach the consistency you prefer while blending.
Sun-dried Tomato version:  Remove the above prepared recipe to a bowl.  Then  add 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil to the food processor.  Blend until chopped.  Add plain hummus back to food processor and blend the two together.
IMG_4762
You can see how the sun-dried tomatoes gave the mixture a nice orangey tint.
IMG_4765
Serve with your favorite pita chips or raw veggies.
Homemade hummus.  A totally new snacky snack world has opened for me.

blog-end_thumb1_thumb1
   


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Huge fan of hummus. I eat it with Wasa crackers and carrot daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn I wish I could jump in my screen and grab some of that yumminess!
    We love hummus and I need to start making my own for as much as we eat it around here!

    Thanks for the recipe my dear!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hummus but never attempted to make my own. I may give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, I don't guess I have never eaten hummus. This looks so easy to make though. I'll have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make homemade hummus all the time, it is the best! I haven't tried sun-dried tomatoes in it, I should do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. darn you and your yummy foods! I have no garbanzo beans and I WANT HUMMUS! I WANT HUMMUS!

    Jamie:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just whipped this up for lunch and it's YUMMY! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I can't wait to make some more with sun-dried tomatoes!

    Have a great day!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails