Monday, August 15, 2011

Soup In The Summer? :: Minestrone With Chicken

Pin It

It’s been a hot one here in Chicagoland this summer and I guess everywhere in the U.S. for that matter.  So, I’m sure soup in the summer doesn’t sound all that appealing.  The other night I was looking to change up our typical grill fest of summer.  I had some chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms.  We always have pasta and beans.  I thought, why not.  Soup in the summer it is.

IMG_4969

Basically, I just used my Meaty Minestrone recipe, exchanging this and that to suit summer and chicken. 

Chicken Minestrone

  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 3 cans fat free chicken (or vegetable) broth
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 2 cups of vegetable juice
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 zucchini sliced
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1 lb. sliced mushrooms
  • 1 Tablespoon dried basil (I used fresh since we have TONS of it growing right now)
  • 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 lb shell pasta, uncooked
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • parmesan cheese, freshly grated

In a large stock pot, cook whole chicken breast meat in tomatoes, onion, garlic and broth.  Braise until done (about 10 –15 minutes).  Remove meat from pot and set aside.  Add carrots, zucchini and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes minutes. Cut cooked chicken into cubes.  Add chicken and beans to pot.  Cook over low to medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or longer to meld flavors. Add pasta 10 minutes before serving. Grate parmesan cheese over individual serving bowls and ENJOY!

IMG_4970


blog-end_thumb1_thumb1

   

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. That looks super delish. I made soup last night and it was divine. I firmly believe that soup is an a-round-year treat.

    Alita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can eat soup any time of year! I'd love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! can"t wait to try this one Sab! hugs, cathy

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails