Monday, January 2, 2012

Times…they have changed

Pin It

As the title says…Times…they have changed. Not changing. CHANGED!

SAY WHAT?!?!

IMG_7058

Well, I’m not sure if any of you have noticed my absence in blogland lately or not, but I feel like an explanation is WAY overdue.

First and foremost…Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my wonderful readers.  I haven’t responded to many of you lately and I apologize.  Life has been beyond crazy and I’ve had to make some harsh decisions about my priorities.  Family first, of course.

IMG_6545-1

I’ve mentioned my previous life as a science nerd.  I’m a lab rat to the core and loved my career. 

image

My previous job ended over three years ago and this little blog was the result of me being home full-time for the first time in my life.  The kids kept me busy, the blog kept me sane. 

Being home has been a surprisingly great experience.  I never thought I would be able to swing the full-time stay-at-home mommy thing.  I’ve always worked and juggled motherhood.  Turns out that losing my job was a gift I never knew I needed or wanted. 

Not only have I experienced my kids (good and bad) in a whole new way, I also learned how to do a barrage of new things that I wouldn’t have had time for otherwise:  photography, cooking, crafting, DIYing.  All along the way, I’ve met some amazing new friends via blogging, several even in my own area.  It has been such a rewarding experience.

Alas, I’m a career girl at heart.  I missed my work.  I missed my field.  I felt like I was missing out on something that I went to school and worked so hard for.  Over the last year, I’ve kept my eye out for jobs in my field (I’m in a really specialized science area).  And finally, one day, a position was posted that fit me perfectly.  The commute and location????  Not so much. 

I applied.  I interviewed.  I got the job.  I struggled with the decision to actually accept the position.   Can I handle commuting to the city?  How can I be away from my family that many hours a day?  Who’s going to make dinner?  Photography?  Is that over now too? 

Then the positive…WOW!  This  is such a great lab.  Such a great group.  It’s both clinical and academic. I haven’t come across many jobs like this over the last three years.  Would another position like this one come up in the next few years again?  When B goes to big boy school next year and I’m still home, will I kick myself for not taking this job?

So much ran through my head.  So many discussions about it all with my husband.  Ultimately, it was up to me.  Derek has been 100% supportive to whatever I chose to do.  And I decided in the end it was too good to pass up.  I accepted the job and started working full time December 12.  Yep, right in the  middle of the holiday craziness. 

It’s been a whirlwind over the last month.  First, preparing to start the job during Thanksgiving. Coming up with meal plans.  Stockpiling food.  Finding the right childcare.  Figuring out my commute.  Then the actually job began and Christmas came too.  No crafts were made this year, although I bought everything with the intention of making these again for friends. Sorry friends.   I didn’t make that lovely Prime Rib from last year either.  Nope.  This year, with all the job craziness, we made the holiday festivities simple.

And you know what?  It all worked out.  We had a great Christmas with both sides of our families.

The boys got matching jammies…

IMG_8961 

We hosted a wonderful New Years Eve gathering with neighborhood friends. 

IMG_9118

And now we’re enjoying a few lazy days together.

IMG_9094

So, there you have it.  My absence explanation.  I have so much I would love to post about, but I’m not sure when I’ll get around to it.  I’m hoping to keep the blog going.  It just might take a different direction.  Stay-at-home mom turns working mom again.

Again, thanks to all of you, my friends and readers, for continuing to read my blog.  Please bear with me during this HUGE life change.  Here’s to a happy and prosperous 2012!

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! Sounds like you made the right decision and you have a wonderful family backing you up! I wish my lack of blogging was a career change but just the kiddos and life that have come first!

    So happy for you nerdo! Just teasing! Science is so not my thing so I'm actually a little jealous, way to go girl!

    Happy New Year my friend!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? that didn't take too long, did it? A couple of posts a month so that you can record what you're doing in your life and you'll be SO happy you kept at it in a few years when you look back and can remember tidbits that had slipped by.

    So glad you like your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations: really! I hand it to you for making this decision. It is very difficult. I was able to work from home when my daughter was small: I've always been in product design so it was possible (not great $$$, but there are always trade-offs, right?). But I really do hand it to every woman who is able to leave the house and go to work! Best of luck in this endeavor and look forward to a word every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great opportunity for everyone!The boys have a great foundation and schedules really are a good thing as they get ready for "big boy school". It will pay off in many ways! Keep it simple. Keep it fun! I worked from 6 weeks old with both my older ones; this is the first time I've been a stay at home mom from the beginning. My oldest is 20 years older than the baby and the adventure has been very different. But hearing the excitement in your post, I almost envy being back in the working world! Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails