Thursday, July 5, 2012

I’m Back! I really mean it this time…

Pin It

So, I know I said I was back about a month ago.  Eek.  A whole month??  Where did it go?  Well, life happens.  And in our case…many things happened. 

chicago silo

First of all, if you remember about six months ago, I started a new job in the city.  I had been home with my kiddos for 3+ years and wanted to get back to working my field.  And although I’d never done a “big city” commute before, I thought I/we were ready.  And I was wrong.  WAY wrong.  The commute was longer than I’d anticipated…almost 4.5 hours round trip.  Don’t freak you non-Chicago readers.  This isn’t completely uncommon around here.  I rode a train packed with 2000 people just like me, making the daily hike to and from Chicago.  It just wasn’t for me.  I missed my family.  They missed me.  I literally missed ALL of their extracurriculars, doctor visits and daily household happenings.  When I did get home, I didn’t have any energy to really be “in” the family either.  It wore me down and after six months and lots and LOTS of discussions with my husband, I have to give it up. 

I’m not sure what was harder…going back to work or leaving a job that fit me so well.  As with most experiences in life, this one has taught me some valuable things…1) I can still hack it in the field that I have been trained in.  Obviously all of that Heirloom White spray paint hasn’t done too much damage to the ol’ noggin.  2)  I LOVE my field and hope to one day return to the lab world.  3)  I am NOT a commuter.  At least not to this extreme.  4) On the flip side, Chicago’s public transportation is awesome and I will use it more often. 

Last, but not least…

5)  I enjoy being a homemaker and stay at home mom.  That’s the most shocking revelation of all to me.  When I lost my job years ago, I was kind of thrown into this stay at home thing without it really being my choice.  This time around I’m choosing to be home with my family and couldn’t be happier.  I’m serious!  Derek keeps saying that he’s so happy to see me happy after all of this time.  And that really says something about how right this decision feels…for all of us.  I had to try out the commuter thing and attempt to go back to work full time to fullfill a personal goal.  To prove to myself that I could still hack it.  If I didn’t at least give it a try then I would have been plagued with unknowns.

The kids keep waking up and saying, “So you’re home?  Forever?”  My answer is yes.  At least for the time being.  We’ll see what the future brings.  Maybe something closer will pop up and we’ll deal with that when the time comes.  For now, I feel like I’m finally back to really “living” in my life.  It’s a good thing.

So on top of the whole job ordeal, we also celebrated B turning 5…

IMG_9924

Thanks to Mamaw for the awesome cake!

Lanaham turning 9…

IMG_0368

Big thanks to Gamma Barb and Papa Terry for this awesome cake too!

We celebrated Lanham’s birthday when we went on a much needed family trip to Arizona to visit my in-laws.

IMG_0146

Auntie Debbie and Uncle Charley are SO much fun…

IMG_0212

IMG_0266

And both families have great pools!

IMG_0272

Such a fun trip!

Then we returned home and this happened to Lanham’s face…

IMG_0426

Yep.  Exercise band + boys = 5 stitches.  He’s recovering nicely, fyi. 

As I said…LIFE happens.  Blogging gets put on the back burner.

And it has calmed down a little now.  So I really have returned and I look forward to getting back to my regular DIYing, cooking and blogging.  Thanks to all of you that have stuck with me and those of you that have become new followers even in my absence.  Hope you all had a WONDERFUL July 4th holiday!

A BIG thanks to my wonderful husband that has stuck by me in all of these decisions and supported me 100%.  I love you babe.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. The important thing is you've made the decision that's right for you and your family which is what each of us should do. Some, especially other women unfortunately, can judge each other so harshly on our choices. It should be about what's right for each family. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are happy with your decision. It's always difficult, and we, as women, feel like we've given something up if we're not "working." Being a mom, and a wife, full time IS working! YOU being happy will make everyone happy. Just remember to make time for you and the things YOU love, because those handsome boys will grow up and leave home. It can be great, or it can be a shock! So make sure you live your life too.
    Congrats. Glad you're back!
    Martha (an older woman in early retirement, and enjoying it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, welcome back - we have missed you !!!!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to have you back! Liked your post today and loved the Ninjago cake!! Showed it to D, he loved it too as that is what he is into. Your mom is so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I did the same things a few months ago. I wrote a short post saying "I'm Back" after being MIA for over a year and then I didn't post again until a few days ago! LOL
    Congrats on being at peace with your decision. I am also a SAHM, as most of us on here probably are. It's a tough job. I miss being out in the "working world" many days but I feel much more fulfilled in my job here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Sabrina !!

    Gamma Bob

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails