Thursday, July 19, 2012

Taking Charge of Our Chargers

Pin It

Slide1You’ve all been in this situation…

IMG_0724

Massive clumps of cords and plugs from all the household gadgets that we use in our daily lives…ipad, two different cell phones, ipods, DS, new and different DS.  The list seems to go on and on.  And it drives me insane!!!  I’ve tried all sorts of ideas and realized that the only way to satisfy my need for no-clutter was to get a charging station.

This one at Pottery Barn is nice…

(source)

 

The price?  At $79, not so nice.

Pinterest had some great inspiration and I finally settled on something like this idea from Lisa at Two Loose Teeth.  I love the idea of using a simple inexpensive box instead of having to build something from wood.  I’m a carpenter’s daughter, not a carpenter.

Here is what I came up with…

IMG_0732

After months and months of saying “I NEED to take care of those cords”, I finally whipped this DIY Charging Station up in one night. 

I found this card organizer box hidden in my closet.

IMG_0717

It was never going to be used and I was about to toss it when I thought…PERFECT for a charging station?  YES!

Not crazy about florals, so I gave it a few quick sprays of Heirloom White.  Here it is, drying so that the ferocious bugs in my yard wouldn’t stick to the wet paint.

IMG_0720

Oh and before I sprayed it, I cut out a little (not too pretty) notch for the power strip cord.

IMG_0721

The power strip fits in like this. 

IMG_0727

I didn’t attach it to anything since it fits pretty snug in the box. 

And EWWWWW…you can see my poor craft knife cutting from the inside.  Martha would be so disgusted!

These bookplates and brads were found at Joanns. 

IMG_0723

After the box dried, I figured out where I wanted my my charging cords to poke through the box.  Then, I placed my bookplates on the box and traced where the holes need to be.

I cut those out with an crafting knife.  Honestly the hardest part of the project.  Trying to make that look pretty=tough.  However, I knew that the rough edges would get covered up by the metal bookplates.

IMG_0737

I attached the bookplates with the little brads and voila!

A charging station!

IMG_0732

It’s not perfect, but at the same time its SOOOOO perfect.  No more messy cords!  A very tidy upgrade for little time or money. 

What do you think?  Any other great charging stations ideas to share?

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This is genius!!! Such a good idea and I am totally going to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart cookie you are! I can't justify spending the 80 on something like that either. And its satisfying to know you revamped something and it does the same job as that expensive one. I've been thinking of doing something like this myself. My husband needs to take a moment and go through all the chargers and get rid of half of them first!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails