Friday, September 21, 2012

Back to Bread Making – Challah Recipe

Pin It

We’ve had a little cold snap here, a sure sign that fall officially starts tomorrow.  So, I’m embracing this crisp fall weather and making my Italian Tortellini Soup tonight.  And what goes better with soup than homemade bread?

IMG_1540

I wanted to try something new and saw this lovely challah recipe over at one of my favorite blogs, Dinner A Love Story.  Jenny used her cousins recipe that seems to be a proven winner and I had to give it a try.  

Challah is basically a beautiful braided yeast bread that has a slightly sweet taste and contains eggs.  Now, I didn’t do the traditional elaborate double braid seen in the original recipe.  Shoot…I have trouble making a normal looking regular braided loaf (see the sad bump in this current loaf below).  I blame it on having boys.  And the fact that I don’t braid my own hair either.  And my mom didn’t braid my hair much (sorry mom, but true).  We’re a long line of non-braiders.

I digress.

IMG_1537

Bread.  Beautiful, shiny challah bread.  On the menu tonight at our house.  I was delighted at how easy it was to put together. 

Here it is right before baking…

IMG_1534

And the resulting yumminess…

IMG_1538

Don’t mind her bump…it all tastes the same.

I think I’m becoming more confortable with yeast breads.  They don’t scare me.  Nope. 

Oh and I followed the directions and let all the kneading happen in the mixer.  Worked out perfect.  Love that!  Hate kneading.  Evidence?  Here and Here.  I also cut the recipe in half, which makes one nice loaf. 

  IMG_1563

Jewish bread with Italian soup? Sure, why not!  I’m only a few days past Rosh Hashanah.  Thanks to Jenny at DALS for introducing me to a home run once again!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. There is only a fine line between Jewish and Italian.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails