Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pinterest Cooking :: White Chicken Enchiladas

Pin It

IMG_1435

Is it crazy weird to admit that I’ve never made enchiladas before?  Blame on the country mouse thing I suppose.  I’ve certainly eaten them in several Mexican joints over the years, I just never tried my hand at them at home before.  So I ran across a pin claiming “The BEST white chicken enchilada EVER” and had to check it out.  The ingredients were super simple and blogger Joyful Momma claims that its kid friendly.  I’m in. 

White Chicken Enchiladas (from Joyful Momma)

  • 10 soft taco shells (I actually used corn enchilada shells that I unexpectedly found.)
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (SEE THE END OF POST)
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan or casserole dish. 

2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.

IMG_1426

IMG_1428

3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. 

4. Stir in sour cream and chilies.  To avoid curdling,be careful not to boil.

5. Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.

IMG_1429

6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

IMG_1433

Shredded Chicken:

This recipe calls for 2 cups of shredded chicken.  Of course the easiest route would be to use rotisserie chicken and I might do that in the future.  HOwever, this time I already had two chicken breasts thawed so I used those.  I seasoned them with cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Then I cooked them until they well browned in a skillet with a little canola oil.  Next, I added enough water to the skillet to cover them half way, a few squirts of lime juice,  put a lid on the skillet and braised them until they were completely cooked, turning once.  This adds moisture to the chicken and makes them easier to shred.  Sorry I didn’t take pictures of this step. 

IMG_1444

They were a hit!  I was surprised how much the boys were loving this recipe.  The chilies are very mild and only add a little more flavor to the dish.  I did a little browsing of other white enchiladas and might try some variations on this recipe in the future.  For instance, adding onions to the chicken mixture.  Also, it seems like this recipe is all over Pinterest from different bloggers.  Does anyone know its original source?  I think it’s a very similar, yet simplified version of PW’s White Enchiladas.  Her version is a little more labor intensive, but the pictures say it all.  YUM!

Hope you enjoyed this culinary not-so-adventurous adventure of mine.  Just proves once again, your kids will eat what you provide.  Just keep trying!

IMG_1440

Pin It

1 comment:

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails