Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Happenings & Happy New Year to all!

Pin It

IMG_6755

Well, like most of you, we were super busy getting ready for Christmas this year and time just slipped away.  So, here I am trying to give you a little update on our holidays and wish you all a very Happy New Year! 

Let’s see…D and I plunged ourselves into holiday treat making last weekend and I’m just wrapping them up for delivery to friends today.  We made homemade caramels and Toffee Butter Crunch like we do every year.  Then I went a little cuckoo and made a double batch of my favorite soft sugar cookies.

IMG_6752

That’s about 12 dozen cookies total!  A little overboard, but they are SO DELISH.   Obviously, we’ll eat our share and deliver the rest to all of the lovely friends and neighbors who have been so great to us this year.

I’ve gotten pretty quick with the whole baking process, so why not add something to the already overfilled Christmas plate and try out something new??   One new thing I tested out for my cookies this year was using royal icing and a “flooding” technique for decorating.

 IMG_6753

I’ve wanted to try it for a few years and this year I actually had the time to do it.

IMG_6756

Let me just say this…its NOT that easy.  It’s actually one of the harder baking type things I’ve every tried.  No joke.  I referenced Bake at 350 a lot and it was a huge help.  Not going to lie, I almost gave up after the first few cookies.  Ask the D-man.  He was standing there while I was elbow deep in cookies and thinned royal icing and saw the frazzle begin.  However, I took a deep breath and after a few more cookies, I started to get a rhythm going. 

IMG_6754

I really do LOVE how these cookies look and for special occasions I’ll definitely do it again.  However, my old technique that I used last Christmas works pretty well too.  Less mess, much quicker and the icing is premade.

You just take any white store bought icing, split it into small bowls, add your desired colors, microwave until thinned (about 30 seconds or more) and dip away!

IMG_6751

I let them dry for several hours like this…

IMG_6748

Then you can add more decoration to them or not.  Or add sprinkles while they’re still wet.

Among all the treat making and delivering, we’ve been busy visiting family and friends and enjoying so much needed snuggle time with the kids.  It has been a really great Christmas break and we’re not looking forward to getting back into reality just yet either. 

Tomorrow we’re hosting several ‘hood friends for our annual New Year’s Eve gathering.  The kiddos enjoy it as much as the parents and we’re all safe and sound in our own neighborhood.  I hope you all have had a blessed and fun filled holiday season. 

IMG_6842-001

Thanks for reading and here’s to a wonderful 2013!

IMG_6822-001

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! They make my day...wait...my week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails